shopping for a new lathe, Recommendations Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Material alone in no way reflects machine rigidity or vibration dampening characteristics.
No, youre absolutely right, but Ill take cast Iron anyday myself. The other issue with large steel weldments is stress relieving them after welding. Its not an exact science and can rear its ugly head later on in the form of cracked welds and distortion of critical components, especially on machines that vibrate and are under heavy loads. Im not saying that a Robust or Oneway lathes suffers from this, Its a generality to be concerned with when choosing machinery.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
No, youre absolutely right, but Ill take cast Iron anyday myself. The other issue with large steel weldments is stress relieving them after welding. Its not an exact science and can rear its ugly head later on in the form of cracked welds and distortion of critical components, especially on machines that vibrate and are under heavy loads. Im not saying that a Robust or Oneway lathes suffers from this, Its a generality to be concerned with when choosing machinery.

Had a Jeep once with a cast iron head. It got hot and cracked.

Seems like a lot of crawler tractors have weldments. Cranes, etc.

Used to work for CB&I making (nuke and non-nuke) vessels, storage tanks, etc. CB&I wasn't in Chicago, didn't make bridges and never used iron. Never got to work on one of their water towers. :no: While we would occasionally preheat weldments, there was never any annealing, a.k.a., stress relieving on the jobs I was on. From my materials class as an undergrad MtlEngr at AU, stress relieving seemed to be all about understanding the material's phase diagrams.

I believe both Robust and Oneway have been making their lathes for awhile. I've never read/heard any complaints about cracked welds when I was doing research before buying one. Might be a good question for the English family however. Everytime I've called Robust, I've talked to Deb. She'll know. If not, Brent will. Check his bio. He seems to have the technical background to make his machines work.

I know nothing about OneWays.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Looked online as much as I can stand. Looking for suggestions based on other folks experience.

I will primarily be turning bowls, platters and vases. Call me crazy but I want to do large bowls (30+ inches) and large platters so outboard capability is important.

I'm looking at this as an investment in retirement activity so I'm willing to spend a tidy sum if I have to. The Robust AB has my attention at the moment.

Suggestions, warnings, must have's, etc. Looking for experienced comments.

Thanks,
Jeff

It's your lucky day. I am a Robust dealer and I am allowed to sell ONE demo lathe per year. My personal AB is nearing it's first birthday, and it is currently for sale. Give me a call and we can schedule a 'test drive' next week. I will honor the full 7 year 'head to tail' warranty. It is FULLY fitted, 3hp, tilt away, outboard rig, etc.........

Look forward to hearing from you,
Stuart

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
we HAVE to get that cup of coffee soon

I had planned to visit you in Ayden today. When I got to the church's building to cut grass, the belts on the mower were toast. The trip to Agri Supply and the repair took my free time.

And still there was a blessing. I was able to describe what a 1/2" ratchet looks like well enough that dearly beloved was able to find it in the tool box and bring it the me. If you knew her, you would understand my joy.

Road trips the next three Fridays. Maybe after that. Keep a light on for me.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Had a Jeep once with a cast iron head. It got hot and cracked.

Seems like a lot of crawler tractors have weldments. Cranes, etc.

Used to work for CB&I making (nuke and non-nuke) vessels, storage tanks, etc. CB&I wasn't in Chicago, didn't make bridges and never used iron. Never got to work on one of their water towers. :no: While we would occasionally preheat weldments, there was never any annealing, a.k.a., stress relieving on the jobs I was on. From my materials class as an undergrad MtlEngr at AU, stress relieving seemed to be all about understanding the material's phase diagrams.

I believe both Robust and Oneway have been making their lathes for awhile. I've never read/heard any complaints about cracked welds when I was doing research before buying one. Might be a good question for the English family however. Everytime I've called Robust, I've talked to Deb. She'll know. If not, Brent will. Check his bio. He seems to have the technical background to make his machines work.

I know nothing about OneWays.

non issue with Robust. I'm a dealer, come put your hands on either of them in my shop, you'll understand.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Folks,

I went to Stuart's shop/school and saw this Robust and all of his other lathes. I was getting ready to write the check for his Robust AB and had a couple unwelcome and expensive things happen with my AC system and my boat so I won't be buying it. He's not permitted to advertise but I will tell you that this lathe has ALL the bells and whistles including a portable remote emergency stop foot switch that would be awesome for large, outboard turning work. If anyone is looking at upgrading to the best of the best, this is your machine. I'll be buying one some day but as a Dave Ramsey devotee, I don't go into debt for anything.

I'm going off to another room now and continue my crying.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Folks,

I went to Stuart's shop/school and saw this Robust and all of his other lathes. I was getting ready to write the check for his Robust AB and had a couple unwelcome and expensive things happen with my AC system and my boat so I won't be buying it. He's not permitted to advertise but I will tell you that this lathe has ALL the bells and whistles including a portable remote emergency stop foot switch that would be awesome for large, outboard turning work. If anyone is looking at upgrading to the best of the best, this is your machine. I'll be buying one some day but as a Dave Ramsey devotee, I don't go into debt for anything.

I'm going off to another room now and continue my crying.

thanks Jeff. If anyone is interested it is still for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS