Shopless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement! I must admit that I have been a bit timid about getting started with woodworking, but it is something that I have really wanted to do and I appreciate all of the support!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement! I must admit that I have been a bit timid about getting started with woodworking, but it is something that I have really wanted to do and I appreciate all of the support!

Well your in the right place to get started :thumbs_up

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Hi Tiffany, congrats on taking a few steps into a very rewarding pursuit. As far as having no shop, you'd be surprised what you can do with tools you just take out and put away. Here's a site you might be interested in along these lines: eurekazone.com . I started with outdoor furniture, which doesn't need to be very exacting- all you need it a circular saw, a jigsaw, a drill and maybe a router/router table. Or you can go the handtool route...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Tiffany, it is great to have you on board!! You will enjoy this group.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Welcome aboard, Tiffany,
as you can see, NCWW is a friendly group. Hope to see you at the next HOW meetup! Just pick a project with the tools you have (or can use from those of us close by) and keep plugging away.

Dan

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hello Tiffany, how are you? I'll tell you in my opinion you have possibly entered woodworking at a great time, due to the fact you are in school for your Phd. Nothing like woodworking, to take your mind into another world as you place those ear-plugs in your ears, turn a radio on and whether your sanding and finishing another table top, turning stock on a lathe into beautiful works of art, or whittling away at a piece of wood to fulfill a vision in one's minds eye.

Whatever it is, woodworking is the means whereby you can drift off into another world, and that may be just the medicine that your mind may need occassionally to relieve one of the overwhelming studies while in school.

Maybe you could talk to someone within your class about your newfound love and they or their parents may have a shop being you don't have one right now.
Most woodworkers love to have other woodworkers over and kind of piddle along together in a woodshop. I know i do...

Plus if you could meet someone in your class that either loves it or has a friend that is passionate about woodworking, it is amazing what you will learn about woodworking. The first thing is that it is an entirely new world of education in itself.

Anyway i think you will enjoy woodworking for life if you could meet some of those ol' timers and kindly pick their brains. but you really wouldn't need to do that because this discussion board here is flat out packed with knowledgeable woodworkers in all the facets of woodworking. Whether it's a technical issue, question, concerns, or the science behind woods and woodworking you will find it right here.

If you ever need anything please email myself or simply post a topic.

Take care, chris

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Tiffany,
Welcome, I know what it is to need a shop to express your talent to work with wood. I fortunately had a very good friend that was more than willing to let me use his shop, and now I have taken over our new house's two car garage and have a shop to work in, but I am already looking forward to a larger shop and I guess it will never end. So for now if you need help just ask and I am sure that there is more than one woodworker that would be willing to help. Good luck with all of you endeavors.:icon_thum
Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS