Shop Set Up & Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Phillip,

Congratulations on the shop, but you will eventually fill it and need more room, take it from me:gar-La;. What are the overall dimensions od the shop, including ht., and is it insulated and does it have adequate power ?

Once again:icon_thum.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Phillip,

Congratulations on the shop, but you will eventually fill it and need more room, take it from me:gar-La;. What are the overall dimensions od the shop, including ht., and is it insulated and does it have adequate power ?

Once again:icon_thum.

It's 30'x40' with 10' ceilings. The shop has it's own power service and a 200 amp panel. The only 15 amp circuit is the one for the lights. The rest of the circuits are 20 amps with each wall having it's own circuit. The only outlet I needed to add was a 220v 20amp for my table saw because I wanted to do a ceiling drop. The ceiling is very well insulated and I don't think the walls are. It's cinder block w/ brick veneer.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Phillip: Looks like you are well under way with the shop. Congratulations, I know you'll love the space. BUT, it'll fill up soon!!

My shop is block walls also. I "stripped" the walls with 2 X 2's that I made by ripping 2 X 4's and screwed them to the walls with the blue concrete screws. Mounted the pegboard just above my outlets. It's working out good so far.
I too am plannint to add some cabinets as soon as my hunting buddy remodels his kitchen.

Good luck with whatever you do.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
...screwed them to the walls with the blue concrete screws. ...

This was the first time I'd ever used those screws (Tapcon was the brand I found at the local hardware store). I can easily say I was impressed by them! As I load up everything we'll have to see how well they hold up, but they are TONS easier than plastic/lead anchors.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats a Nice shop Phillip. Do you have plans and ideas yet on how you want to organize it all

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I've already established where I want my tablesaw and makeshift work table (it's not really a bench). Those are really the only two tools that aren't on mobile bases. So the rest of it I'm just going to experiment with and see where it ends up.

I need to start collecting PVC to run my DC through so I can just leave it in one place.

bwat

New User
Bill
Shiny! 1200 sq feet, WOW!

I wouldn't know what to do with that much....oh yes I would, and you will too. Enjoy!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Very nice! I would recommend buying a few sheets of insulation from the BORG and insulating those garage doors. With three of them you will lose a lot of heat in winter and cooling in summer. I envy the space. While it seems big now, ait a year and it will seem small.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
The garage doors are insulated. The only issue I have with them right now is that they aren't sealing all the way around. But that's nothing that can't be fixed, just a matter of doing.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Phillip,

I too, have a large shop 32 x 40, but it's a pole barn and not insulated, I would kill for solid walls and and insulated ceiling and doors. Mine is seperated by wall (w/4' doorway) into 32 x 22 and 32 x 18 rooms, I made one into a big machine room and one into an assembly/handtool room it seems to work out for me. Good luck on however you set it up, and keep an eye out on this site and CL for deals on equipment, they wiil show up and eventually you will get every thing you need.
With tall ceilings you may want to think about using one of the walls for vertical wood storage, it will definitely give you space to hold lots of wood.

Good Luck.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
The vertical storage for lumber is my plan. I'm trying to work out where I want everything. The shop has PVC pipe along the walls for air compressor hook ups and i'm trying to figure out if I should take it down or leave it and use it.

Rob

New User
Rob
Take the PVC down if you can, for the air, you don't know what kind of pressure has been used, if it's had oil in it or what. PVC blows into shrapnel if the air bursts, I would use copper for air if you can swing it.

I have brick walls in my basement shop, I just use 2x4's held on with liquid nails, and nailed into the baseboard on top of the wall, has held up everything so far.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Compressed air isn't on my high needs right now. So I'll probably just leave it up and replace it once I find I can't deal with an air hose.

I like the 2x4/liquid nails solution, I might have to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS