Shop cabinet details *W/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Today I worked on some of the backbench and sink upper cabinet details that I hadn't completed yesterday.

I made a piece to cover the gap and shims at the bottom of the backbench tool cubby. This pic shows the shims in the gap.

Backbench-57a.JPG

I made a 1" oak trim piece. I beveled the top edge and painted it black to mirror the counter edging. I think it works-

Backbench-61.JPG

I did some fine tuning of the hinges on the sink upper cabinet and also added catches. I tried something different when I made this cabinet. With flush inset doors a stop is necessary, and since I didn't use euro hinges I needed something to hold the doors closed. I didn't want traditional mechanical stops or catches that intrude on the opening so when I built the cabinet I made it so the bottom shelf sticks up 3/8" proud of the top edge of the lower face frame rail- this acts as the door stop-

SinkUpper-5.jpg

For catches I used 1/4" X 1/4" rare earth rod magnets (B in the pic below) They are $.75 ea. (.57 ea. for 10 or more) at LV -

99k38xxs2.jpg

I mounted one magnet in the top edge of the door and one opposite it in the bottom edge of the face frame top rail. I made a little drill guide block, drilled the holes, then used super glue to attach the magnets. They work great. Here is a close-up of the magnet in the face frame rail- very unobtrusive.

SinkUpper-6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS