Sharpening Station & Laminate Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Most of you followed and many took advantage of the shop cabinet deal in Charlotte a few weeks back. Well, in that deal I picked up a base cabinet for $10 that was just taking up space in my already cramped space. So, I had to do something with it. Not exactly (ok, not even close to) fine woodworking, but heck, it's shop furniture right? right!

Decided to make a sharpening station out of the cabinet. Then, Mike (Shamrock) came over and showed me how to laminate a top and lended me a hand (and some supplies -- I owe you glue bud). While doing that top, we also decided to laminate my main workbench. All in all, looks great and makes things look cleaner. Can't wait to use the new sharpening station ...

Laminating ...

Final...

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow,

Very nice work! I really like how well you used that MDF to make that mobile sharpening station. I need to start using up my MDF. I plan on building some cabinets for the walls. Is 11/16 MDF to thin, or will that work? I have 1 5/16, I just think that will be to heavy! Whew!

Thanks for sharing, I get ideas from you guys all the time! Now how to get them out of the brain and into action!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I want to see current pics of your shop. I bet it is getting hard to walk in there.

It's not so bad actually. Where this now sits was the lathe stand (which no longer is in the shop and lives in the shed). Though the shop still needs some love in the organization front ... it's actually not so bad (that is until my 12" jointer and 20" planer arrive :gar-La;)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Phew. I feel better. My jointer will still be bigger than your jointer.:wink_smil

I still haven't got my PM planer right. Getting closer to getting a sledge hammer.

It's not so bad actually. Where this now sits was the lathe stand (which no longer is in the shop and lives in the shed). Though the shop still needs some love in the organization front ... it's actually not so bad (that is until my 12" jointer and 20" planer arrive :gar-La;)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Nicely done Jeremy. I did the same thing for my shop benchs and table saw outfeed table.
Now I keep my eye open for damaged or discounted laminate. Never know when you what to laminate another top.
Put a bit of Johnson's past wax on it, and it gets nice and slick.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Laminate-who said laminate-I don't work with laminate-that stuffs not even close to wood.:wink_smil Not to mention it cuts you, kills router bits and saw blades, and probably causes some sort of unknown disease later in life. Nah, you can keep that stuff. Oh, did I mention it cuts you?

Travis-Jeremy's shop is actually LESS cluttered now if you can believe it. Must admit the tool warehouse is looking good. It's getting harder and harder to talk Jeremy into selling me the Laguna 24" for $200 as it seems he actually does have room for it. Dag-nab-its

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Looks great - nice use of "found" materials. I actually used a piece of laminated particle board left over from a kitchen remodel as the base of a shoot board for my circular saw - didn't plan it that way, just needed to knock one together and found it in the garage. Works great, the saw just glides over it and it's very stable (and heavy). The cut edge is pretty darn sharp though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS