SharkBite plumbing......

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
For those who may recall, last fall I had a massive sewage spill (one I caused).

Few weeks back, I had 3 pipes burst during the cold snap. Of course, in the same area as the sewage. Needless to say, I got to spend more quality time wallowing the the sewagey mud.

But thats not the point of my post.

For a host of reasons, I used the SharkBite connection system. These are press on fittings, couplings, T's and such.

I am willing to go on record saying they are fantastic, but a bit expensive.

I was unable to solder new copper for a host of reasons, my lack of skill being one. Pipes being in the ground and covered in a muddy swampy mess another.

Working in a really dreadfully tight space, the sharkbite stuff "easily" allowed me replace a shot T and 6 couplings. They also let you bridge copper and plastic pipe.

If you find yourself in such a situation, they do offer some degree of hope.

Needless to say, I am really starting to wonder about the benefits of indoor plumbing. An outhouse and a bucket down at the river seem eaiser to me lately :)

Jim

Marlin

New User
Marlin
You pointed put 1 problem and that is cost. But it is still cheaper then calling a plumber.

The 1 thing i don't like is you reduce the size. If you look inside is is smaller then the pipe. So using one on a .5" might take it down to .4" (wild guess number out of air) in that connection.
I had to use one in a pinch as I could not get the water to stop 100% so my solder would never take.

So yea they can be a life saver but I rather get some good solder and flux and do it right.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I too have used those SharkBite connectors. They are SUPER easy to use, work flawlessly (at least all I used) and though expensive, worth every penny and still cheaper than a plumber.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I used a few Shark Bite fittings last year to run some plumbing for an outside spigot on a far corner of the house, basically to connect copper to PEX and back to copper.

I usually run copper but the configuration of the run as well as the high price of copper talked me into the PEX route.

The Shark Bite fittings are well engineered and too easy to believe at first. I do wonder what the long term experience will be though. Those o-rings can't last forever, can they?

-G

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
As an aside, I wanted to mention that I think plumbers earn every penny. Given my personal experiences, maybe even more.

I'm just a DIY type of guy. Do In Yourself. Err It ;-p

Jim

R

rickc

I can't say enough good things about the Shark Bite fittings. Last year, we went back to open a summer place recently built, only to find burst copper pipes! I was dreading the repair, and stumbled across the fittings. Had the repair done in less than 15 minutes!

For me the O-rings are an even better option. This year when I shut down, I simply disconnected the fitting. That ensured I would not have to repair broken pipes again.

Plumbers ARE worth every penny they charge. However, I try to do as much as I can so I get the most out of any money I do pay them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS