Shaper Tape Origin resource

jgt1942

John
User
Does anyone have a source for the tape for a Shaper Origin. All I can find is $22/roll for 150 feet which I think is a bit steep.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have a roll I will sell for $10 if you are ever in the Greensboro area. Otherwise like @cyclopentadiene suggested, you can print the dominos on paper and tape or glue them down. Instead of cutting them into strips, you can use a whole sheet of paper with multiple rows printed on it. If you use these sheets in the area (above) where you won’t be going over them with the router, you can just tape them down so it’s easier to remove than spray adhesive.

mpeele

michael
User
When I first got my SO I was concerned about tape consumption but I have found I really don't use that much. A good bit of cutting I have done I do on the workstation and you don't use any tape for that. I have cut parts using a 1/2 sheet of MDF and I used tape for that. I made a table saw sled and other jigs for cutting parts which I used some tape for them. For other things that won't fit on the workstation I have tape applied to a several prices of MDF with packing tape covering it. In all I haven't used a whole roll yet. Some times when I use the tape boards with material widder than 16 inches or so I will have to add a row or two to the material.

So I guess I wondering what you are cutting that requiring that much tape?

jgt1942

John
User
I have a roll I will sell for $10 if you are ever in the Greensboro area. Otherwise like @cyclopentadiene suggested, you can print the dominos on paper and tape or glue them down. Instead of cutting them into strips, you can use a whole sheet of paper with multiple rows printed on it. If you use these sheets in the area (above) where you won’t be going over them with the router, you can just tape them down so it’s easier to remove than spray adhesive.

This video and the link to the generator (Python Based Printed Domino Generator) helped. After generating a few different test I was able to get what I think I needed. Thanks

jgt1942

John
User
When I first got my SO I was concerned about tape consumption but I have found I really don't use that much. A good bit of cutting I have done I do on the workstation and you don't use any tape for that. I have cut parts using a 1/2 sheet of MDF and I used tape for that. I made a table saw sled and other jigs for cutting parts which I used some tape for them. For other things that won't fit on the workstation I have tape applied to a several prices of MDF with packing tape covering it. In all I haven't used a whole roll yet. Some times when I use the tape boards with material widder than 16 inches or so I will have to add a row or two to the material.

So I guess I wondering what you are cutting that requiring that much tape?
Sorry for the late reply
1705605076590.png

This is after I made a V cut. Later I decided the V cut was not necessary, at least I didn't think so. The board is about 42" x 19".
Here is the finished phase.
1705605441032.png

All of the guests will sign the board with a indian ink felt pin. I will then seal the board with a led cured sealer.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Looks great! Concerning tape usage, I’m wondering about the need for a couple strips. First, the one at the bottom. Did you have to turn the machine around for part of it? Otherwise it doesn’t seem like that one would be in the field of vision. The other is the top where you have 3 strips really close together. Seems like you could have eliminated the center row. Perhaps you had to do that to get enough dominos for the machine to read? If so I would have thought it would have been more effective to add some in the middle where you have open spaces. Either way, it doesn’t look like you are using too much tape.

jgt1942

John
User

For whatever reasons I have not had good success with printing the dominos. They look great but the SO has trouble with them and almost none are recognized. I'm using an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw and printing on white copy paper.

jgt1942

John
User
Looks great! Concerning tape usage, I’m wondering about the need for a couple strips. First, the one at the bottom. Did you have to turn the machine around for part of it? Otherwise it doesn’t seem like that one would be in the field of vision. The other is the top where you have 3 strips really close together. Seems like you could have eliminated the center row. Perhaps you had to do that to get enough dominos for the machine to read? If so I would have thought it would have been more effective to add some in the middle where you have open spaces. Either way, it doesn’t look like you are using too much tape.
Initially I placed tape on just on the top and later added a strip along the bottom and a few on the ends. I also tested by placing a strip on an external board. Later I discovered that I could rotate the SO 90 degrees and cut the letters at the top
1705700758285.png

Attachments

• 20240102_004906.jpg
    20240102_004906.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 1705700787712.png
    1705700787712.png
    27.3 MB · Views: 21

jgt1942

John
User
For whatever reasons I have not had good success with printing the dominos. They look great but the SO has trouble with them and almost none are recognized. I'm using an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw and printing on white copy paper.
I think I resolved the issue. I measured the size of the dominos on the print and compared it to on on the tape. The printed version was a bit larger. I reprinted and ensured that the printed domino was the exact size and it worked. I use a Windows app (PriPrinter) that allows me to rescale an image before sending it to the printer. PriPrinter is a virtual printer, I print to it and then it prints to my printer. I started using it several years ago when I created handouts for classes I instructed.

jgt1942

John
User
Initially I placed tape on just on the top and later added a strip along the bottom and a few on the ends. I also tested by placing a strip on an external board. Later I discovered that I could rotate the SO 90 degrees and cut the letters at the top
View attachment 225405
I think the roughness on the edges of the letters was due to using an 'UpCut" bit. Since then I purchased a "DownCut" bit but have not tested it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS