Sewing table questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Unskinny Boppy got her "craft" table from a Pier 1 closeout sale. Take a trip to the Ikea store in Charlotte and look at their cubby storage/bookcase ideas and dimensions.

https://unskinnyboppy.com/2012/04/recreating-pottery-barn-style-without-2/

This WIP sequence of pics looks similar to what you want to put together without the start to finish carpentry/woodworking. Here's a 6 unit cubby that's 30" h x 44" w, but there are other sizes available as well.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48906345933406655

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...rage-30-cube-unit-bookcase-clop1226.html?piid[0]=21979228&piid=21979228

Put a plywood work surface across the top(s) and your wife will be ready to sew. :eusa_clap
My thoughts, the Unskinnyboppy one is a perfect rendition for sewing. Make the bookcase part with adjustable shelves, she has no idea what she will need to put here. The plywood top will be ok if you use a quality plywood that you can finish to be smooth. Why not start with a second hand table to finalize what will work best for her?

dazart

New User
Steve
I like the idea of adjustable shelves, but I don't think I have the tools to create the holes and I'm on a little bit of a budget for now - so unfortunately no new tools. I just have a Porter Cable 690 router - no plunge base. It'd be tough to get the holes exact.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I like the idea of adjustable shelves, but I don't think I have the tools to create the holes and I'm on a little bit of a budget for now - so unfortunately no new tools. I just have a Porter Cable 690 router - no plunge base. It'd be tough to get the holes exact.
i can understand that. I did some using pegboard as a guide. I just marked the holes I wanted to use. I don’t think I live anywhere near you or I would give you some.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member

I have a hole template guide if you want to borrow it, or you can use a piece of pegboard also

dazart

New User
Steve
Just a drill and a pegboard? I can't picture that ending up looking to good.

At least not me doing it.

Cato

New User
Bob
Interesting thread, as I have been pondering building a sewing table as well, but not so big of a footprint. I've been thinking of a dropleaf type to save space when not in use. I usually just scour pictures to get ideas and then graph out a design from there. Lol, it's why I don't make too many projects! More pondering and less doing!

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
You need to sit down when using a sewing machine. I do girl stuff sometimes.
...and the machine should be inset into the table so the table top is level with the bed of the sewing machine...similar to a router table top. Then make an insert for the hole to use when not sewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS