Severe Weather Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
There is currently a thread running about last night's severe weather that affected a lot of us. I thought this would be a good time to remind folks about a service that WRAL offers for $8 a year. You give them your street address and if severe weather is headed your way they notify you via telephone on up to 3 numbers you have on file with them. :icon_thum For me I consider it cheap insurance since I am too far out in the boondocks to get a reliable signal on one of the weather alert radios that Radio Shack etc. sell. Here is a link to FAQ about the service. :wsmile: http://www.wral.com/weather/story/3657002/

Glennbear

Glenn
For $8 per year? That's a pretty good deal. 8 isn't big enough to be a rounding error in most budgets.

It is a bargain compared to similar services which charge up to $80 a year! :eek: When I signed up a while back it was free but it has become so wildly popular that the costs they were paying the service vendor were becoming prohibitive hence renewals and new service is $8. :wsmile:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks Glenn, I'm definitley going to look into this. I grew up in the mid-west and got used to having air-raid sirens to let us know when trouble was coming. Blows my mind that we don't have a better system down here.

By the way, for those of you with SMS phones here is a pretty cool free service. Warned me of the nearby tornados last night....

http://www.weatherusa.net/alerts/

Trav

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I would recommend this. My weather alert radio went off last night for the first time. Scared the heck out of me - but I realize I would have otherwise slept through a potentially dangerous situation. I would sign-up if I didn't have a radio.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I signed up with the county system called code red.It is the county's Emergency Communication Network.About 3 am one morning they even called about a hazardous chemical spill.Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors