Setting up shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
After nearly 5 years in this house, the garage has turned into nothing but a catch all for clutter. Unusable for anything but the occasional small project, unorganized, etc...

I picked up a delta table saw to replace my old craftsman and that sparked the need to finally completely setup shop in half of a (barely) 2 car garage. Unfortunately I didn't have any place for the stuff that needed to stay, so it's been a trick to work among everything piled in the middle of the garage, but it will improve once I get some cabinets up.

The first shots are the way the was last Saturday morning. Walls were open stud and lined with peg board and shelves.

IMG_0858_800.JPG

IMG_0859_800.JPG

I tore everything down Saturday morning except the wall bench which is very much physically attached to the wall.

IMG_0869_800.JPG

IMG_0870_800.JPG

Fast forward through Sunday and today. Installed several rolls of R13 insulation and put up drywall. Mudded yesterday afternoon, sanded and primed today and just got done with the first coat of paint (not shown yet)

IMG_0872_800.JPG

IMG_0873_800.JPG

Tomorrow I'll get the final coast of paint up. I picked up 2 gallons of oops paint from the BORG that look remarkably like peanut butter in color. So far it's looking much better. Then I'll get the french cleats cut and installed on both open walls and start building cabinets. I'll post more as I get further along.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Talk about an Extreme Make Over. That looks like the fastest transfer every. Nicely done.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow!

Zippity Dooh DAH!

I just love an organized shop. Feel very safe and secure in one!

Always worry bout those 5 things falling down, when reaching for one!

Congrats!

M

eyekode

New User
Salem
Wow, you are fast! And it is looking good! I think you will like how the white walls brighten up the place. I have drywall on my walls. If I ever get up the inertia to improve it I will hang plywood or chipboard so I can screw things all over it, not just to studs.
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great start! :eusa_danc It's amazing how much usable space you can create when you start building wall cabinets and drawers under benches.

Bill

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I'll get some updated pictures tomorrow.

Got the paint finished today, built 2 of the wall cabinets and started putting up a few of the french cleats. I'm short some shelf pins so can't populate the 2nd cabinet yet and need to get some hinges and knobs to put the doors up.

Progress is good.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
WOW!!! Great job. It's looking fantastic! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I've been wanting to put up french cleats in my shop as well. thanks for the possible motivation.:gar-La;

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Here's a quick shot of Sunday's progress.

I started one row of french cleats and put up 2 cabinets and tested hanging a light on some quick cleat hangers. It's amazing how versatile these will make the walls of the shop. One cabinet already has shelves, stocked and doors up. I ran out of shelf pins, so I haven't populated the other one yet other than to throw some junk up there to get it out of my way for now.. I'm debating now how the rest of the wall will lay out with the components I want to put up.

All in all it's coming along very well I think.

IMG_0876_800.JPG

Also need to build a sheet good cabinet for the short open back wall area. Thinking something like this
and I have some ideas on how to use the side of that as a tool station as well.

31-MD-00438.jpg

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Updates with todays progress as well as showing that the shop is self supporting now and able I'm able to start making new fixtures, jigs, etc...

IMG_0888_800.JPG

IMG_0889_800.JPG

IMG_0890_800.JPG

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Drill press station is done and ready to go. The shelf behind is built from a re-purposed pine board I had in the shop. It has some character to it, but I like it. Fresh coat of BLO rubbed on gives it a nice warm look.

IMG_0891_800.JPG

IMG_0892_800.JPG

manfre

New User
Manfre
You're definitely making good progress with your shop. I really like the cleat light hanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS