Serving tray/ charcuterie board...

Trey1984

Trey
User
Here's a serving tray made for a friend at work for him and his wife's anniversary. It's walnut, hard maple and purple heart. Have about 7 actual cutting boards making right now with this kind of design just with different species and sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_234530619.jpg
    IMG_20240304_234530619.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20240304_234518753.jpg
    IMG_20240304_234518753.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20240305_080850899.jpg
    IMG_20240305_080850899.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Here's a serving tray made for a friend at work for him and his wife's anniversary. It's walnut, hard maple and purple heart. Have about 7 actual cutting boards making right now with this kind of design just with different species and sizes.
Nice work.
I saw a Fine WWing article a few years back that described the technique - is that what you followed? Seems like you have progressed past that as there are terminated lines in your design. Any process notes you can share? I love this style, but am not likely the invest the time necessary to do this well (impatience!).
What is your finally finish? Looks reasonably glossy and I notice your did not call these cutting boards (haha - be crazy to take a sharp knife to these!)

Trey1984

Trey
User
Nice work.
I saw a Fine WWing article a few years back that described the technique - is that what you followed? Seems like you have progressed past that as there are terminated lines in your design. Any process notes you can share? I love this style, but am not likely the invest the time necessary to do this well (impatience!).
What is your finally finish? Looks reasonably glossy and I notice your did not call these cutting boards (haha - be crazy to take a sharp knife to these!)
Thanks. I actually seen a post on this site from a member who makes them. Really liked them so found a video by Fisher on YouTubehttps://youtube.com/watch?v=u1bVVpAxF7k&si=_94pZKXRnCtohswH
I done 6 different glue ups for this board. The main trick that I figured out is after you cut out your pattern on the bandsaw is when you go to sand the mill marks away. Just barely remove them. The thin strip is too fill the gap from your bandsaw kerf so it needs to be the width of your blade. I used tried and true linseed oil. The reason look so glossy because just put the finish on it. The last picture was how it looked and I used walrus oil wood wax.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors