September 2015 Contest - Bookshelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Surely every woodworker has put together a book shelf - either plain or fancy. Simple, built-in or a large shelving unit.

Show us your best or most unusual.

Post your entries in reply to this post.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Whoa... I need to catch a ride on the "wayback" machine to 2009 and see if I can dig up a pic for that one. Any chance there is a backup from 2009 of pics from user name "Jeff..."? Doesn't hurt to ask...

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Here's an 8 ft wide set of shelves I built last year. It's in 3 sections. 4 ft in the middle and two 2 ft outer sections. The whole unit is mounted on 8 ft french cleats lag bolted into the wall studs. The shelves are adjustable and I drilled all the shelf pin holes using a Rockler shelf pin jig. The carcasses are 3/4" birch plywood and the backs are 1/4" plywood. The edges are 1/4" x 3/4" strips ripped from poplar boards. To this day the unit remain unfinished, just heavily loaded.

Shelf1-1024x680.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I took a ride on the "wayback" machine to 2009, this is the last book case I built. It's quarter sawn red oak and build to fit under a window.

3567.jpg

Attachments

• 3567.jpg
    3567.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 491

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
This is a bookcase that I made for my son's first grade teacher. She went well beyond her normal duties as a teacher to help my son. I gave this to her after the year was over. When she saw it, she cried and said that she did not have any solid wood furniture. I used the scroll saw to cut out her favorite saying and placed it on the top back. The saying is from Mother Teresa "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."

This is made of solid red oak. The empty spaces on the sides were created for pictures.

I enjoyed making this, but the look on the teacher's face was priceless.

Bookcase22.JPG

Bookcase13.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve - simply post a close-up of the saying "for the win!"

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Here's a couple book shelves that I made for my daughters. There is a keyhole bracket behind each of the uprights to hang them on the wall. They are my design and I purposely made one left and one right. One daughter is left handed and the other right!

IMG_20150906_084033187.jpg

IMG_20150906_084010180.jpg
IMG_20150906_084127899.jpg
IMG_20150906_084140549.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOOK out!
The competition is getting firece!
rocky_balboa.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Michael, I like your design and the fact that they are unique for each daughter. It looks like one daughter is very neat and organized, and the other . . . well. :rotflm:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This is my latest, purpose built for a special place. The top part simply sits on rubber feet. Hard maple, some with figure. KV255/256 shelf brackets since I don't like the Ikea look and like having adjustment increments of 1/2". The bottom shelf is 32" high with a top that's 28" wide and 13" deep. Web frame is made from salvaged maple flooring.

Things laid out. Spline joinery throughout.

Bottom carcass under clamps.

Top unit having the back glued on using super lightweight clamps with rubber faces.

spray booth. Bottom unit

Quartering view

Front View

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Here is a bookcase/base cabinet wall I built for my son's condo in 2012. I built and finished the unit ( in four pieces) in my shop and hauled it to Virginia and installed it. It is cherry veneer plywood with solid facings and solid raised panel doors. The corbels and valances provided enough wiggle room to mate with the ceiling which was not perfectly level.

wall view.jpg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is a bookcase/base cabinet wall I built for my son's condo in 2012. I built and finished the unit ( in four pieces) in my shop and hauled it to Virginia and installed it. It is cherry veneer plywood with solid facings and solid raised panel doors. The corbels and valances provided enough wiggle room to mate with the ceiling which was not perfectly level.

View attachment 17201
I pushed the "Thanks" button - because there is no "WOW" button!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
here is a bookcase/base cabinet wall i built for my son's condo in 2012. I built and finished the unit ( in four pieces) in my shop and hauled it to virginia and installed it. It is cherry veneer plywood with solid facings and solid raised panel doors. The corbels and valances provided enough wiggle room to mate with the ceiling which was not perfectly level.

View attachment 17201
s e x y

JGregJ

Greg
User
My wife loves paperback books, so I designed a shelf especially for them. It's 5.5 inch deep, 24 inch wide, and 80 in tall with shelves that are 9 in apart to maximize the # of books in the space -- would also work nicely for DVDs. She liked them so much I've built 2 pair of them and now the room is looking like a library. I have created a sketchup drawing of the design and would share if anyone is interested in the details.

0Empty.jpg

4pair.JPG

5Wall.JPG

I didn't have ways (at the time) to plane and surface rough wood so they were constructed from the 'premium pine' from Home Depot with a water based cherry finish to match the rest of the room. Really not sure what wood 'premium pine' is as never seen pine w/o any knots -- but overall it's not too bad to work with and I was pleased (and most importantly the wife was pleased) with the results.

Here a few shots of the work in progress.

1Cuts.JPG

2Clamp.JPG

3Finish.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS