Semi cured epoxy

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I had some cracks and small voids in a 4' plank I was making into a seating bench. I mixed up a batch of epoxy to fill them and whether it wasn't good epoxy or the wrong ratio, it never fully cured and has stayed sticky. I tried planing it with a hand planer and got sticky sawdust all over. Took me 30 minutes to get 'most' of it off the planer. Still working on cleaning the work area.

Any ideas on how to get the stuff to cure? Or is this a candidate for the scrap pile?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I just had the same problem using JB Weld epoxy.
I dug out as much as I could and mixed a batch with extra hardener and it seems to be OK now but it was a very small spot.
What brand did you use?

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
System 3, it was about a year old if that makes a difference. I have a feeling it was the operator that was the problem though. And it's a number of spots, probably not worth trying to dig out.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I have found that white vinegar removes uncured epoxy (I use WEST system) pretty well.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I ALWAYS add a bit extra hardeners to the ratio. I don’t use large amounts.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I had that happen years ago on a boat build. My problem was I didn't mix it well enough and some of the resin that was stuck on the bottom of the cup didn't get the hardener. I used a putty knife to start and then copious amounts of acetone with rags and Scotchbrite.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I had this happen about 9 months ago. Bad epoxy/resin hardener. It never even hardened. I tested it with fast set hardener and it worked fine.
Clean with a putty knife, wire brush and acetone ..... :confused:

It happens ......... sucks too when it does

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Extra hardener will make it weaker.
Old resin is unpredictable.

OK, that said, sometimes a little heat, sometimes letting it set for a couple of weeks. Sometimes dig it out as mentioned above.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Well the piece is over 2" thick, so I went at it with a chisel and acetone. Got most of it out and going to try my hand planer on it again. It's a lot easier to clean than the big planer. What I can't get out I'll just go over with good epoxy and hope for the best.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Usually if there's a curing problem with epoxy it's either a mixing/stiring problem or a ratio problem. If there's a question about if the epoxy is too old or has been frozen always mix up a test batch first before using on a project.
Tony

Craig C

New User
Craig
Had that happen last week. Pouring to fill a crack. Used weather stripping tape to seal bottom then poured from top. Top cured fine but when I removed the tape a couple days later, the part in contact with the tape was sticky and gummy. Let it sit for 5 more days but didn't help. Used heat gun to soften it then chiseled it out semi-successfully. Was using West Systems epoxy

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS