Segmented Turnings - First and Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
In the first photo, the plate on the left is the first segmented turning that I did, about 2 years ago. It is 7"D x 2"H with 19 pieces. (This piece got me hooked on segmented turning) The vase on the right, which I recently finished is 16 1/2"D x 31"H with 1345 pieces. The other photos show some of the work in process. All comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
137.JPG

View image in gallery

The 2 halves in the lathe ready for turning​

Outside roughed in​

The two halves ready to be turned on the inside​

Top half ready to be turned inside. I need to make another steady rest if I decide to turn anything larger. There was only about 3/16" clearance.​

Completed project​

Closeup of the triple cubes​

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Very nice, the steps are different for sure.
Dont you just love the big turnings.
What woods did you use in it?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, but just thinking about how it gets assembled makes my head hurt. Spectacular! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments. Earl, the main body is sapele. The background for the cubes is maple. The cubes are peruvian walnut, jatoba and goncalo alves. The dark rings are peruvian walnut. The large turning was fun, but I'm ready to go back to the smaller ones.

wrwilder

New User
Ray
I'll tell you that I got a chance to see Charlie's last masterpiece during it's creation and the pictures don't do it justice. This thing is awesome. The attention to detail is amazing. Beautiful, beautiful... Thanks, for letting me see part of it's creation.

timf67

New User
Tim
Awesome as usual! I was worried when I read your post title that this was your last segmented turning ever, but hopefully there is more to come!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Charlie:

I would love to come by sometime and see some of your work in progress. The cubes are an awesome touch.

Doug

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone.

Tim, there will be more. One is in the process now. I have done about 75-80 pieces in 2 years and there is no end in sight.

Joe, each cube consists of three diamonds. It requires a lot of disc sanding. The main ring with the triple cubes was about 40 hours. You don't live far from me, come on over sometime.

Douglas, I would love to have you come over. PM me anytime. I'm retired so I have no schedule.

To Everyone, my shop is always open for visitors. Send me a PM and we can arrange a visit.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Man,that is awesome,I gotta go along with what Bas said,I get a headache just thinkin about makein that.Way to much thinkin for my one little woreout brain cell :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS