Segmented bowl

JonB

Jon
User
This is the first of 3 segmented bowls I'm working on, wood is walnut, maple and chatka viga. 18 segments per ring, 12 rings and floating disc in the bottom = 217 pieces. This is the first one finish turned with one coat of oil, 2 more coats of oil over the next couple days and buff a week after the last coat.
This one has a maple floating disc in the bottom which I laser engraved before inserting, the next one has a walnut disc and the last one has a chatka viga disc.
I've done a similar one in the past with less pieces, these three species go together really well.

Attachments

bowman

Board of Directors, Events Director
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nicely done Jon! Looks great, no gaps that I can see.

JonB

Jon
User
I use Watco Teak oil, it has some UV inhibitors in it (not sure if it really helps or not). I usually apply 3 coats with 24 hours between and then buff after at least a week of cure time. I buff with tripoli and white diamond but never use the white diamond on walnut as it gets into the pores. I also don't use carnauba wax as that shows finger prints and any drop of water will leave spots. This type of finish gives the piece a nice feel and sheen but not overly glossy, still feels like wood.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS