Seeking your tips for sanding end grain

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywelder

New User
David
What I have been doing for months to smooth end grain on my wood bowls, is just not working. I am unable to get the end grain smooth, smooth enough that it does not show threw the finish.
So fellow wood workers and bowl turners, what do you recommend as a cure for smoothing the end grain on my bowls?
Thanks
Flywelder

M

McRabbet

Scott,

I'm not a turner, but I have moved your thread over to the Wood Turning forum where I am sure you will get an answer to your question.

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Hi Scott,

Try putting a paste wax, I like Johnson's floor wax, on the bowl. I put a generous amount on, wait a few minutes, it doesn't have to totally dry, then wipe it off but don't rub to a shine. Then use your bowl gouge at a 45 degree angle (make sure it's very sharp) and use it like a straight edge........sort of like you'd shave your face with a razor. Take very light cuts. Then maybe start with 240 grit and see if that works. If you start with too coarse grit, you'll just be putting scratch marks that take more sanding to get to 240 grit.

The paste wax fills the holes of the endgrain, which is like straws, and keeps them "standing up" while you shave them off.

Hope this helps.

Ruth

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A recent article in the AAW Journal by Alan Lacer showed the results of using a burnished edge for a shear scraper's edge. I tried it and it made an amazing difference over just letting the burr edge do the cutting.

Shear scraping is a technique for finish cutting, not shaping or excavating the wood. The shavings are fine, whispy, hair-like strands of wood. Here's a shot of the results of shear scraping on a shaped outer edge of a bowl. The blade holder in the bottom photo is something I was experimenting with.

shearscrape2.jpg

shearscrape1.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Ruth - fascinating technique, never heard of using paste wax before, but it makes a lot of sense. Would this also work on something like an end grain cutting board and using a card scraper?

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Hi Bas,

I'm sure it would. I get all these good little tips from Russ Fairfield. Don't know if you've ever heard of him but he's an expert on finishes, oils, wax, grain problems, etc. He has "Russ's Corner" at www.woodcentral.com Check it out sometime, it's free.

The other suggestions are excellent also. Using a very sharp scraper works on most wood. I like the paste wax technique because it also puts a little finish into the wood when you do the shaving cut.

I don't think there is a "right" way, just "another" way.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Good Question FlyWelder, I must have missed the first post somehow.

I thought I was just doing something wrong when I got that end grain stuff. I just kept turning it out and it would finally go away. I must have done the light cuts, but I sure didn't use the paste wax, that is a great tip. I am sure it will work a lot better.

Thanks!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Good Question FlyWelder, I must have missed the first post somehow.

I thought I was just doing something wrong when I got that end grain stuff. I just kept turning it out and it would finally go away. I must have done the light cuts, but I sure didn't use the paste wax, that is a great tip. I am sure it will work a lot better.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS