Seeking your opinons on a delta lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywelder

New User
David
I am looking and have been for a year.....for a good reliable used lathe, I found two. I plan to mostly turn bowls, and boxes.

Share with me your opinions good and bad on A delta 46-715 wood lathe.
I have read reports of the lathe having a horribly week drive system, especially the variable speed area. Do any of you know more about this or have experienced this?

And share your thoughts and experiences with a Delta 46-701 lathe.
Thanks !

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
That (the delta 46-715) is an excellent lathe for the money. That is where I started, and later sold it to Brian (bluthart). On the upside it has a decent swing, plenty of power for most work, and a long bed. On the downside would be the sheet metal legs, the slowest speed is about 500rpm or so, and the price of "new" is a high (but you can find them used for much better deals)

Also, check out Tom's review here ... he's one of us ... http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d46715rvu.html

kluck

New User
Keith
I have used my Delta 46-715 lathe for about 6 years now. Overall, I like it. Priced for a beginner. I find it powerful enough for my needs and sturdy. No problem with the sheet metal legs (concern expressed in previous post).

With a glaring exception: the drive pulleys are cast aluminum and the smaller pair disintegrated about 2 years ago. Replacement parts from Delta were back ordered and took about six months to arrive. Delta graciously paid for the replacement--about $90 if I remember correctly. Then, about three months ago, the larger pulley disintegrated. The replacement parts were about $140--Delta did not replace them. The replacement pulley parts (each pulley is acutally a mating pair) were fit for a 22 mm shaft rather than a 24 mm shaft, so the replacement kit included a new drive shaft. It was a pain to fix because the old pulley got stuck on the old shaft and I had to phyically break the collar to get it off. The guy at Delta indicated that "these things happen," but since I use my lathe for hobby work, meaning infrequently, I am a little sceptical about the design and materials. I can imagine that one of the pullley's might break apart, but two? So, that is my reservation about the Delta 46-715.

I hope this post makes sense. I am new to North Carolina Woodworker and not sure of the protocol. Thanks.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I have one of these lathes. I don't claim to be a turner and use it infrequently and really haven't put it through it's paces like some of you guys would with heavier work. I have had some problems with poor machine work that I have had to take it apart and fix. I think it was poor machining on the reeves drive pullies. Other machining deficiencies in the tailstock I've had to fettle with. Other than those problems, it has been fine and does a good job for what I have done. Plenty of power, smooth, balanced. I would probably buy it again for the price. Most other lathes were heavier and a lot more $ and this serves my simple purposes.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I picked one up used a couple years ago and have used it quite a bit. I also had trouble with the drive pullies. They were placed on back order / waited a couple months / contacted delta and had a set free:eusa_danc of charge in a week. The lathe will turn pretty much any thing you want. I bolted it to a permenant work bench to keep it steady. Much like the H/F lathe its a good starting point to see if turnings for you.

flywelder

New User
David
Thank you all! Just the style of replies I was hoping for, honest and up front, good and the bad..... excellent!.. Greatly appreciated! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS