Seeking advise on moving equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
I recently had a momentary lapse of reason :no: and made a deal on several large pieces of equipment. They will be loaded on a low flat bed truck this week and delivered to my shop. An associate of mine has agreed to bring a skid loader to the house and unload the items for me( for a small fee ). A piece or two of this equipment I hope to keep, some will definitely be resold as there is no way my shop can house it and still be functional. The majority of this equipment sits on flat bases. My question is this: Should I purchase a pallet jack from say Northern Tool to be able to move this stuff around the shop and just set everything on 4 x 4's or build/buy dollies. :dontknow: I am open to any and all advise here. The majority of this is the first stuff I have ever purchased I didn't feel comfortable trying to handle myself w/ my small trailer and a friend. The weights vary from 800 lbs to over 1400 lbs I believe.
Thanks,
Mike

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mike I am no expert in moving that kind of machinery around alot - but if it was me and I had machinery that heavy and had to move it around alot I would buy the pallet jack - then again you will have to have somewhere to store the jack also - I don't know if I would want to move something that heavy on dollies - JMTCW:dontknow: I believe that the heavy machine masters will chime in and help you out better with this

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the machinery is still on it's skids or the bases are flat, just get a long steel pry bar and some 1-1/2" pipe. A few pipe pieces kept under the skids as you maneuver it around and you can do wonders. You can even pivot on one piece when you get it balanced. I've moved heavy equipment around in my shop like that by myself many times.
You can also check the local tool rental store for some 'Hillman Rollers'. They are excellent for moving large machinery on concrete floors.
I'm assuming here that you're talking about moving it into its more or less fixed locations and not something to be done on a regular basis. For that, I'd build roller stands.

Last edited:

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Thanks guys,
I guess the piece I am most concerned about is the Delta RJ 42. I believe it is over 1400 lbs and 8'8" long. It isn't currently on a pallet and if it's base ever touches my concrete floor I might have to redo the shop around it because I don't think I could budge it.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mike are you wanting to move these once or are you planning on moving them in and out as you need them?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Get some 2 x 10s or 2 x 12s 10' long & set it on them before the skid steer leaves. Use #1 SYP or oak to avoid breakage and deflection. Leave enough room between them to get the pry bar and a fulcrum in place to lift it.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Phillip,
I am 90% sure the large jointer and a cabinet saw just need to make it inside the overhead door. I would like to be able to manuever them some in order to check them out before selling to anyone though.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I was thinking that you where wanting to move them as you needed them:BangHead: I wouldn't buy a pallet jack just to move them once or twice - Dennis has a great idea with the rollers

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Get some 2 x 10s or 2 x 12s 10' long & set it on them before the skid steer leaves. Use #1 SYP or oak to avoid breakage and deflection. Leave enough room between them to get the pry bar and a fulcrum in place to lift it.

Thanks Dennis,
I have some old 2x10's I use for scaffolding I think I will give a try. I didn't really like the idea of a pallet jack because of the space it would take up later and the little use it would see.

Mike

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I typically store my pallet jack underneath a piece of equipment - that way it doesn't take up extra room in the shop.

Dennis's comments - as usual - are spot on.

In addition to the long pry bar, I find a good floor jack and 4 x 4 extensions (from the floor jack up to the bottom side of the equipment) to be a valuable assist. A "hi-lift" jack also is beneficial in some circumstances, as is a come-a-long.

If you don't have 1.5" pipe, even 3/4" steel pipe will work.

Glennbear

Glenn
I totally agree with Dennis and Scott but want to add emphasis on Scott's floor jack suggestion, floor jacks are relatively cheap and have a multiplicity of uses if you do not already have one. My cheapo HF floor jack has saved me a lot of grief on various lifting/moving projects. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The only reason I suggested 1-1/2" pipe is it's large enough to keep from sinking into the timbers and have minimal rolling resistance. Use what you can get but the larger the better. Another useful tool is a tractor jack for lifting one end. DAMHIKT but be sure your floor is CLEAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS