Sealing end grain

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
Whn I use to seal the end grain of freshly milled lumber? Is there anything beside Anchorseal? Thnx.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I think Anchorseal is your best bet, but I have used 3 coats of latex paint on endgrain of short logs I have split in quarters. i believe you can also use white glue, but I have no experience with that.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've always just used leftover latex paint and it's worked well.

Red

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
It would be interesting to see how well Charles McNeil's products work on sealing end grain.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Whn I use to seal the end grain of freshly milled lumber? Is there anything beside Anchorseal? Thnx.

Like others said, latex paint will work to seal end grain. A little bit better way is to take "old yellow glue or white glue" you have that is older than 12 months and use this. You cut the old thick glue 50/50 with water, mix it up and paint it on. Seals up the end grain better than paint. A note of interest: when I was in England I found several brick masons using old yellow glue as a sizing solution. They would cut the old glue fairly thin in a bucket and paint it on brick to retard the water absorption in the brick. I have tried it here in Durham and it works like magic. The water beads on the brick like a freshly waxed car does after you buff it out. There's no risk/cost in trying the old glue path. Surely you have some old glue you wonder about. Then again... we all have old latex paint too. Just a thought.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Anchorseal is the best choice. However, it must be applied within an hour or so of bucking the log to length.

Anchorseal works by almost totally preventing water vapor from passing out of the end grain of the log thereby minimizing end splitting and/or checking. The water vapor is forced to escape by exiting through the circumference of the log.

Latex paint is not a good choice. Latex paint is formulated to allow water vapor to pass directly through it. This prevents moisture buildup inside the walls and on the inside of exterior walls. Melting paraffin is a good alternative. Multiple coats of dewaxed shellac is also a good water vapor inhibitor. Multiple heavy coats of oil based paint will partially inhibit water vapor passage.

So, your best choice is to use Anchorseal but you must apply it almost immediately after cutting the log.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Anchorseal is based on a wax derived from crude oil produced in north central PA and South central NY. DAMHIK

You can make something very similar by combining equal parts parrafin and vasoline (petroleum jelly) and heating over a flameless heat source. The 2 will combine and homoginize at about 150 Deg. F. and the wax will stay in solution. After it cools below 120 F, you can dilute to paint consistency with 25-35% by volume naptha or laquer thinner - caution - no flame, sparks and no static electricity.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Anchorseal is based on a wax derived from crude oil produced in north central PA and South central NY. DAMHIK

You can make something very similar by combining equal parts parrafin and vasoline (petroleum jelly) and heating over a flameless heat source. The 2 will combine and homoginize at about 150 Deg. F. and the wax will stay in solution. After it cools below 120 F, you can dilute to paint consistency with 25-35% by volume naptha or laquer thinner - caution - no flame, sparks and no static electricity.

It would be interesting to do a cost analysis on mixing up a large batch of this (55 gallons) and see what the cost savings are versus Anchorseal.

Rick M

New User
Rick
What I've tried in order from best to worst
Glue size
Oil base paint
Shellac

Shellac worked poorly even after several thick coats. Paint is okay but I still get some checking. Glue size just worked, barely any checking.
- sent via Tapatalk

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
<<<< Shellac worked poorly even after several thick coats.

Did you use a dewaxed shellac? Shellac containing it's natural wax has fairly little moisture resistance. Dewaxed shellac will generally work better.

That said, if you elect to not use AnchorSeal, the first alternate should be oil based exterior enamel. Avoid using any waterborne finish.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I used amber shellac.

Apparently the first alternate should be glue size.
- sent via Tapatalk

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
No one liked my suggestion to try Charles Neil's magic sauce on end grain. If anyone in Cary/Apex/Morrisville wants to try some, I have it on my shelf.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
No one liked my suggestion to try Charles Neil's magic sauce on end grain. If anyone in Cary/Apex/Morrisville wants to try some, I have it on my shelf.
Mike - do you know what it is?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Mike - do you know what it is?

Nope, but the demos of it are impressive.

I've seen the demos but have no personal experience with the product because I use diluted Zinsser SealCoat shellac for the same purpose.

So let's sleuth around and see what we can find about the product and how to use it. Lightly scuff sand between the 2 recommended coats before applying any type of dye or stain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC14TvbzWDU

So what is this product? It's basically white PVA glue diluted in water to make a sizing mixture (think something like Elmer's Glue All in water).

Elmer'sC Neil
pH (acidity)4.75
Odorvinegar likevinegar like
Appearancemilky whitemilky white

The data is from the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).

http://charlesneilwoodworking.com/references/MSDS.pdf

http://www.americanamb.com/ops/1101MSDS/ElmerGlueAll.pdf

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've seen the demos but have no personal experience with the product because I use diluted Zinsser SealCoat shellac for the same purpose.

So let's sleuth around and see what we can find about the product and how to use it. Lightly scuff sand between the 2 recommended coats before applying any type of dye or stain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC14TvbzWDU

So what is this product? It's basically white PVA glue diluted in water to make a sizing mixture (think something like Elmer's Glue All in water).

Elmer'sC Neil
pH (acidity)4.75
Odorvinegar likevinegar like
Appearancemilky whitemilky white

The data is from the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).

http://charlesneilwoodworking.com/references/MSDS.pdf

http://www.americanamb.com/ops/1101MSDS/ElmerGlueAll.pdf

thanks Jeff!
(Aren't you the Chemical version of Sherlock Holmes! :icon_thum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS