Scroll saw questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
Asking for some info & advice here - I have a Delta 24" scroll saw, probably a late 1940's model. It's in great shape and runs good. I've made some Christmas ornaments, puzzles, etc. but am still in the learning curve as to what type blade to use where, etc. A couple of questions - How important is speed - could I be running it too fast making following a line harder than it should be (this saw doesn't have the variable speed pulley, but does have multiple size pulleys). I know this saw is a lot beefier than those on the market today - are today's saws much improved and thus give more satisfactory results, or is it just a matter of experience & technique to get equal results to "modern" saws? Not having ever used a newer saw I don't have anything to compare to.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It sounds like you need to slow yourself down. You don't have to push the project through fast. No matter the speed, slow down. In answer to the second part of your question, I started with a couple single speed, older saws. I LOVE my Dewalt. If you are looking to upgrade, you can't go wrong. Variable speed does make a difference. I don't run at top speed. You are welcome to come give it a try if you would like.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Think of speed like driving a car. You would not be comfortable or have the same control driving a car through hair pin turns at the same speed you drove a long flat road. When scrolling faster speeds are used on straight cuts and gentle curves. Tight turns and delicate areas require a slower speed. Woods that tend to "burn" like cherry are normally cut a slower speeds then oak and poplar. Quality blades are really important. The two major players here are Olsen and Flying Dutchman. I have used both in the past and I now use Flying Dutchman exclusively.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
What Scott said. I too favor the Flying Dutchman blades, specifically the Ultra Reverse for it's smooth cutting, and easier to control. My father had a Homecraft Scroll Saw. Really beefy, and it had some type of variable speed control that was a hand crank. I do remember him building an outdoor sign board for our church, and cutting all the letters on that saw. Modern saws are much more user friendly, and have less vibration, but you can still produce nice scroll work on the old saws. Good luck, and HAPPY SAWDUSTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS