Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
For those of us who ain't great at ciphering: does 100 #7 trim screws, 2 1/4" long work out to one pound of screws?

I need stainless steel screws, and thoe that Lowes sells seem to twist a bit easy (using low drill speed).

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Well, believe it or not I was using a cordless driver - but it was not set on hammer mode. I did not think to use it that way however, because with a pilot hole for every single screw I expected better than I got. I am still not happy with the fact that the #2 square-drive bit would cam out so often. The ironic thing about it all is that I was replacing my old boards. They were put down with Phillips head coated screws. When I backed them out not one ever cammed out, despite the fact they were sometimes rusted over. And they rarely got so chewed up that I could not get a bit to hold.

BTW - my math was way off on the price of the screws - it was closer to 10 cents a screw - much better, but still pricey.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
i usually get my screws from Lowes. I had some 1 5/8 drywall screws snap on me the other day. It was due to operator error. I would start the screw and stop then start again. the stopping and starting again is what snapped the screw. I have some 3" galvanized screws that arent worth a dime. they will snap and the heads will strip.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The production of most screws is now overseas, with our "friends" in China leading the way. Stainless screws are much softer than regular plated steel screws. I recently did a door repair (metal door) using SS screws. First ones I bought from Lowes. The heads stripped terribly, so I went to Wilder's in Raleigh and bought some there. After telling the counterman the problem I was having, he suggested that I first install a plated steel screw, back it out and then install SS screw in it's place. Also do final tightening by hand. Problem solved. Klingspor's carries a selection of the black oxide coated wood screws that are of VERY HIGH QUALITY. Never have had a problem with one yet. Several years ago, I redecked a deck for a friend. Spent extra money and bought "premiun galvinized" screws. Two years later, the deck was covered in rust stains from screws. Probably would have been better to bought the ceramic coated ones from Lowes. I'm afraid with the new treatment of wood, it is only a matter of time before we see massive failures of decks due to fasteners corroding. I have removed nails that were less than a year old that looked like they were ten years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors