saw till

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
still getting organized in my garage and this pile of saws kept getting in the way so I made a till for them. I plan to eventually put up a bunch of cleats on my wall and this will hang from one of them

Kept looking for my aggressive cross cut saw and never could seem to find it, now I know why. Have no idea how I ended up with so many saws but I gave myself room to add a few more . :)

20170122_180150.jpg

20170122_180202.jpg

20170122_180216.jpg

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Brilliant idea, I like it. Too bad I never use full size hand saws or I would copy cat this. I love organization. If only my wife would let me do so vice keeping the to do list long.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Now why didn't I think of that?
Nice solution and I may just copycat it (with modifications of course). :eusa_clap

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
That's the style of rack that I copied for storing my squares.

Seeing your saw version reminds me that I meant to build one for my saws.

IMG_7898.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, that's not a lot of saws. Somehow I collected enough that I filled my till and still have some hanging on pegboard.

DSC_0242_532x800_.jpg

DSC_0236_532x800_.jpg

Not sure where I saw the plan for this one. Maybe FWW. Used a scrap piece of Cherry Plywood and some other cherry scraps to make it. It hangs on the wall from a shaker peg.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ken, Those are some beautiful "scraps" assembled into an elegant and clean design.

Do you recall the thickness of the cherry ply?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliment. I think that was 3/4" from the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. I don't think I had any 1/2 just 3/4 and 1/4. It was left over from when I built a Cherry Wine Cabinet for my niece. 1/2" would probably work fine though for the back.

I just checked and counted 13 saws in the till and 6 more hanging on pegboard near it. Maybe I could afford to get rid of a few of them someday. Nah, they're all really nice saws. I'm not a collector - stuff just gravitates into my shop and never leaves.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Ken, I had your post in the back of my mind when I started looking into saw storage but I had time to kill at work and started googling saw storage and kinda liked the saw till a bit better because I got the idea to put dry erase board on the front to keep track of the saw specs.

I was at the hardwoodstore this weekend and was hoping to raid the scrap bin for segmented turning chunks and mallet makin but it was absolutely empty :mad:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do very much like the fact that you're able to label the saws you have in yours. I just know that the left half is Crosscut and the right half is Rip but have to pull them out to examine the exact specs.

Timmy

New User
Tim
Nice till. How high will you mount that on the wall when you get the cleats in? Do they hit each other when you place them in there slots?

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
If I used handsaws alot I would mount it about a foot off the floor. While testing it out on my work bench, that was already to high to comfortably add and remove saws from it. Whats nice about the cleat system is I would just take the whole thing down and put it on the floor and take out the saw I want as its not at all heavy. If I angled the saws I guess they would hit each other but I just slide it in letting it slide along the back of the saw till its seated.

I considered making the front a door and storing saw sharpening gear in there but I'll prob just make a companion piece and hang it next to it

Nice till. How high will you mount that on the wall when you get the cleats in? Do they hit each other when you place them in there slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS