Sassafras Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I picked up about 25bf of sassafras today and wondered if anyone has any glue up tips and any finishing advise.

stave

New User
stave
I built and carved a complete bed using sassafrass. Used titebond and finished with lacquer...came out beautifully and was fantastic to work with. It has aged to a deep rich brown. Wonderful wood and I wish I could find and avoid more 8/4 stock.

Stave

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought Sassafrass was soft (like Basswood) although stable... and Beautiful wood!

am I right?

windknot

Scott
Senior User
This stuff is really pretty, I have not yet started machining any so I can't speak as to it's true hardness/softness. I will post some pics as I get it prepped to glue up.

stave

New User
stave
The wood carves like mahogany but is less dense. It machines well, does not splinter or tear. The open grain does not create any problems. It holds screws as well as biscuits etc without any problems. As for my experience it stains well accepting just about any color without splotching. It is also the only true brown colored wood without yellow or red tones. I love it for carving.
Who would I contact for the 8/4?

Stave

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I built and carved a complete bed using sassafrass. Used titebond and finished with lacquer...came out beautifully and was fantastic to work with. It has aged to a deep rich brown. Wonderful wood and I wish I could find and avoid more 8/4 stock.

Stave

Beautiful carving Mark. I love your work.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice looking bed!
I've mad lots of sassafras tea but never had a tree large enough for any wood working, except some small turnings. Made some walking sticks which turned out well but were a bit "soft" for my liking.
Jeff thanks for posting the links to those pages. After my last laptop died suddenly, I've lost so many links I've forgotten existed.

stave

New User
stave
Did not mean to hijack the thread. Thanks for the comments. The bed took 3 weeks to make working night and day...literally. The bed and myself was featured on the HGTV show Modern Masters. When they called to invite me to be featured I was doing a religious sculpture which they would not put on the show, so I told them I had a client that wanted a ocean theme bed that I would have ready in time for the show. What I failed to tell them was the client was my wife and I would have to work around the clock in shifts to get it done. I worked 8 hours would sleep 6 hours and then start over. Over the period of three weeks I ended up working some totally bizarre hours. Out all the exposure and almost a 1000 emails ( the show ran twice) I ended up getting 2 commissions. It was a great experience though and I have a video of the show for my grandchildren to remember me by.
Stave

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member

Stave

Good first try. Stick with it. You'll get it.

(I kid. Amazing! My daughter was captivated by the photo.)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Did not mean to hijack the thread. Thanks for the comments. The bed took 3 weeks to make working night and day...literally. The bed and myself was featured on the HGTV show Modern Masters. When they called to invite me to be featured I was doing a religious sculpture which they would not put on the show, so I told them I had a client that wanted a ocean theme bed that I would have ready in time for the show. What I failed to tell them was the client was my wife and I would have to work around the clock in shifts to get it done. I worked 8 hours would sleep 6 hours and then start over. Over the period of three weeks I ended up working some totally bizarre hours. Out all the exposure and almost a 1000 emails ( the show ran twice) I ended up getting 2 commissions. It was a great experience though and I have a video of the show for my grandchildren to remember me by.
Stave

That's an incredible bed! :cool: :cool:

I couldn't do that in three years if someone was offering me a gazillion dollars!

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Quarter sawn sassafras is the secret to exceptional turkey calls. Small box and scratch calls that a friend makes out of sassy and walnut have one several competitions. I used 3/4" t&g sassy to panel my sons room 20+ yrs ago. Built several small tables and chests & trunks out of it. One of my favorite woods to work with, especially rift sawn.

The smell is also pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS