Sapmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Finished up the customized mobile base for my Grizzly tablesaw and upgraded Unifence. :mrgreen: I started with a universal base and added angle iron to make it more robust. Lacking welding skills/tools I drilled, tapped, bolted, and painted the iron ;-)

And I'm reasonably confident it will be sturdy enough to support the tablesaw. Size is 22" x 42".

sapmobile_a.jpg

Hardboard was added to level surface with corners of frame.

sapmobile_b1.jpg

The angle iron "extension" adds support for the 3/4 ply that holds the frame together.

Of course, the real test (with pixs to follow) . . . moving the saw to the base :eusa_pray

Roger

Last edited:

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Roger,

Very nice,
In case you are tired of drilling and tapping, I'll gladly weld it up for you.

Also, the name 'sapmobile' implies an engine. Are you going to motorize it?
Cheers,
Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Roger,

Don't struggle too much moving the saw, Give me a shout and I'll gladly come and help.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Nice Job Roger!
Looks great and should be plenty sturdy. Will the legs on the extension table be on the ground or on the mobile plaform/ I had mine on the ground initially, then increased the mobile base to include them - seemed each time I moved the saw the table got slightly out of level.
Best
Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Roger!

I am sure that it will hold a Grizzly just fine. Fine lookin' iron work there. (You are a member of the Iron Workers Union?:eusa_thin )

I have the same base (w/o your customization) under my zipcode saw and it has been great!

You will have to let us know how she rolls!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger,

Very nice,
In case you are tired of drilling and tapping, I'll gladly weld it up for you.

Also, the name 'sapmobile' implies an engine. Are you going to motorize it?
Cheers,
Bernhard

You are the second person that offered to weld after I've finished.

No motor. Could rename it Sapwalker or Saproller. :eusa_thin

. . .Will the legs on the extension table be on the ground or on the mobile plaform/ I had mine on the ground initially, then increased the mobile base to include them - seemed each time I moved the saw the table got slightly out of level.
Best
Wayne

Yep, the extension table support legs will sit on the base, thus the re-engineering. With the extra framing the base of saw will have metal support under three sides. It will also have 1/8" less clearance underneath, which could be a problem if the floor sags :oops:

FWIW, this was a good challenge for me. I learned a little about metalwork, found an excuse to buy a new tool (metric tap & die), and discovered that Tru-Valu is the best place to find nuts and bolts (metric). Try finding a 50 mm M8 hex socket screw with 1.25 threads at the BORG :BangHead:

Thanks DaveF for the support offer. Another member also volunteered. May have a "Mounting the Grizzly" party :eek:ccasion1

Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks good roger.:icon_thum BUT will it move the required 4 inches?:rolf: :-D

fred

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great job, Roger! :icon_thum

It's hard to tell how big the base is without a reference. Can you post another pic with the saw sitting atop the base?? That'd probably be a pretty good shot! I know you must be looking forward to making the move.

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great job, Roger! :icon_thum

It's hard to tell how big the base is without a reference. Can you post another pic with the saw sitting atop the base?? That'd probably be a pretty good shot! I know you must be looking forward to making the move.

Chuck

That''s the plan Chuck. :icon_thum
Right now it's like having a huge roller skate in the shop :lol:
I plan to get 'er done by the weekend.

Roger

sawman

New User
Albert
Roger that is looking good, it will probably take a 12 pack to get the saw on the base. There is one Ace hardware that I have been going to for years, if I need nuts, bolts, wrist pins, screws or what ever, they have it.
The wife does not understand why I prefer to shop in hardware or tool store and after 30 years explaining, she still does not understand.

Albert

:saw:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Roger, Wilders on Alwin Court (near Habatat Reuse Store) stocks most any kind of fastener that you could ever want. But if you are allergic to cats- beware as they have several "store cats". If they don't have it, you probably don't need it. No minimum purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS