Rust buildup in dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
This is a question for all of you & your s/o that have wells. How do you remove the rust buildup in the dishwasher? Mine is getting bad, and starting to stain my dishes.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Gary, I presume you are on a well and the "rust" is coming from your water supply? :icon_scra If so, it's iron, probably ferrous iron (dissolved). A periodic cleaning with something like CLR might do the trick. There are also lots of citric acid based cleaners out there. Good luck.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
A good water filter in line will help some and the use of a package of lemonaid flavored coolaid (no suger just place it in the soap dispenser) Cherry also works but not as well as lemonaid. In the navy we used this stuff to clean drain line covers. We run a pack through as needed if it is real bad two applications may be necessary.

Mark

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thanks all, I think I'll give the Kool-aid a shot first just cause LOML and I think it's funny and cheap. Gotta see if it works. :thumbs_upIf not then I'll give the Iron out a shot.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I had a well a couple of houses ago, and cleaning out the dishwasher/washing machine won't do much for getting rid of brown on your dishes and clothes. What you really need to do is treat the water before it gets to the "user end." There are units available, and IIRC they're expensive. The problem is dissolved iron in the water and not "rust" from pipes (most pipes are copper anyway, unless you have plastic).

Any of a number of the substances mentioned in previous posts will clean up the interior of the dishwasher, but will not solve the underlying problem...

HTH,

Steve>>:kermit:

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Another option is to install a water softener that is also capable of removing iron. You should have the water tested so you know how much iron you are dealing with.

Bob

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
A good water filter in line will help some and the use of a package of lemonaid flavored coolaid (no suger just place it in the soap dispenser) Cherry also works but not as well as lemonaid. In the navy we used this stuff to clean drain line covers. We run a pack through as needed if it is real bad two applications may be necessary.

Mark

Mark,

You are the MAN!!:eek:ccasion1 Talk about an easy and thrifty solution..2x $0.20 packs of lemonaide flavored Kool-aid and the diswasher is looking great!

On another rust problem end The Works bowl cleaner works great(on toilets), and at just over $1.00 doesn't break the bank! Thanks to all who responded.

I am also going to check out the whole house filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS