Ruobo workbench “ leg up”

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Is anyone contemplating building a Ruobo workbench with a SYP base like this from the Schwarz plans?
IMG_4195.jpeg

Back in 2013, I led a workshop to build a leg vise that could be used as one of the legs for that bench. Or, it could be held some other way and be used as a standalone leg vise. Here is the workshop pre-planning drawing:

2013_leg_vise.png

I recently acquired most of the parts of a partly completed leg vise from the estate of a participant in that workshop; a 5"x5" SYP laminated leg, ash chop, red oak parallel guide, and a 1-5 Acme screw. The leg and chop are about 39" log and can be trimmed to suit
IMG_4188.jpeg

I am willing to complete this vise and also add ball bearings if someone can use it in their bench. I will contribute any additional hardware needed and will donate all proceeds to the NCWW Scharlarship fund in memory of Mark Firley.

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I'm at the beginning stages of making a split-top Roubo workbench. The top will be sugar maple (harder than hard maple from any southern locale) and a walnut base (because walnut is the wood I have on hand). The plans I'm following are a blend of plans from Benchcrafted, the source for my leg vise mechanism, and Christopher Schwarz's Roubo bench in Workbenches. I'm not in need of the leg vise because I already purchased the vise mechanisms. I would be interested in any plans or drawings you have on the vise leg and chops that have dimensions, bevel angles, etc. Thanks.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Is anyone contemplating building a Ruobo workbench with a SYP base like this from the Schwarz plans?
View attachment 219872

Back in 2013, I led a workshop to build a leg vise that could be used as one of the legs for that bench. Or, it could be held some other way and be used as a standalone leg vise. Here is the workshop pre-planning drawing:

View attachment 219875

I recently acquired most of the parts of a partly completed leg vise from the estate of a participant in that workshop; a 5"x5" SYP laminated leg, ash chop, red oak parallel guide, and a 1-5 Acme screw. The leg and chop are about 39" log and can be trimmed to suit
View attachment 219876

I am willing to complete this vise and also add ball bearings if someone can use it in their bench. I will contribute any additional hardware needed and will donate all proceeds to the NCWW Scharlarship fund in memory of Mark Firley.

Since there seems to be no interest, I am considering just shelving this project.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I have interest and lumber for a workbench of a design that's still up in the air. However, I don't have the time to devote to it right now so I would hate to put you on indefinite hold for this.
I'd love to talk to you about it when I can get the project rolling, hopefully within the next 6 months.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have interest and lumber for a workbench of a design that's still up in the air. However, I don't have the time to devote to it right now so I would hate to put you on indefinite hold for this.
I'd love to talk to you about it when I can get the project rolling, hopefully within the next 6 months.
That’s fine and you are nearby. I’m sure we can work out something.

iclark

Ivan
User
That is a very generous offer.

I hope that, whenever it finds a good home, the recipient will post some build pics.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I'm at the beginning stages of making a split-top Roubo workbench. The top will be sugar maple (harder than hard maple from any southern locale) and a walnut base (because walnut is the wood I have on hand). The plans I'm following are a blend of plans from Benchcrafted, the source for my leg vise mechanism, and Christopher Schwarz's Roubo bench in Workbenches. I'm not in need of the leg vise because I already purchased the vise mechanisms. I would be interested in any plans or drawings you have on the vise leg and chops that have dimensions, bevel angles, etc. Thanks.
Chris Schwarz (Lost Art Press) has written at least three books on workbenches. These books contain detailed drawings like these and are an excellent reference for planning a new bench.
IMG_4242.jpeg

Claus

Claus
User
I’d be happy to have a vise like that. Can it be added to any workbench or does it require the Schwarz version?

—Claus

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I’d be happy to have a vise like that. Can it be added to any workbench or does it require the Schwarz version?

—Claus
My original design intent was for it to be a 5” square left front leg in a Schwarz Roubo workbench.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Graham (@J_Graham) picked up the vise today and plans to incorporate it in his new bench build. This leg vise is oversized and can be cut to fit the height of the workbench.
IMG_4642.jpeg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Sugar maple top and Walnut base, that is going to be beautiful

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
That is a new development in the past few months. I will be posting about it soon.
In Resources, I just uploaded a revised version of my paper "Hanging a leg vise chop". Primary change was the addition of the topic "Suspending the screw with two radial bearings". This is the technique used in the leg vise that Graham (@J_Graham) has. Here is the toc from the document:
IMG_4784.jpeg

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
In Resources, I just uploaded a revised version of my paper "Hanging a leg vise chop". Primary change was the addition of the topic "Suspending the screw with two radial bearings". This is the technique used in the leg vise that Graham (@J_Graham) has. Here is the toc from the document:
View attachment 223797
I have already bought my vise mechanisms, including the Bench Crafted leg vise scissors mechanism. I reviewed the table of contents, and I'm interested in your thoughts about using "crubber" on the chop faces. To use it do I have to make any alterations to the chop faces to compensate for the additional thickness at the top (clamping surface) of the leg vise?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have already bought my vise mechanisms, including the Bench Crafted leg vise scissors mechanism. I reviewed the table of contents, and I'm interested in your thoughts about using "crubber" on the chop faces. To use it do I have to make any alterations to the chop faces to compensate for the additional thickness at the top (clamping surface) of the leg vise?
Some choose to only line the chop with crubber. Thus, no change to the clamping surface would be needed.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Every other vise on the bench will have crubber on both chops. Other than extra work, why wouldn't I want line both faces? I could rout out 1/16" from the bench top edge to make the crubber flush with the edge.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Every other vise on the bench will have crubber on both chops. Other than extra work, why wouldn't I want line both faces? I could rout out 1/16" from the bench top edge to make the crubber flush with the edge.

My preference would be to not rout because that complicates the crubber install and replacement. Think about it, for short work pieces, not being routed does not matter. For long workpieces not being routed does not matter because the angle is so minuscule.

I have done it both ways and the routed recess was more often a small PITA than not.

Either way works, your choice.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS