Roxul or fiberglass for soundproofing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB75

George
So an internet search has left me with more questions than answers. I'm insulating my workshop and have a separate room that houses the DC and air compressor that I want to try and not so much soundproof, but minimize noise escaping.

Here's the question, assuming that I don't do anything such as resilient channel or sound killing drywall, is there really an appreciable difference in sound absorption between fiberglass and Roxul? This will be going in 2x6 walls.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi George - it was great to meet you earlier today. I wish that I would have known that you were interested in soundproofing; I could have showed you my generator room. The soundproofing works extraordinarily well.

In my instance, I started off with open cell spray foam insulation in the walls and ceiling, then stapled an 1/8" strip of foam insulation on top of the studs (I used standard sill sealer), then 5/8" drywall, and then a layer of flexible adhesive with a layer of 1/2" soundproof board on top. It is extremely effective. For the doors I used two layers of the 5/8" drywall covered with one layer of sound deadening board.

In the NCWW archives is some information about sound deadening that one of our members posted - as I recall back in '09 or '10. He used a product called "green glue" and was very pleased with it. His thread was very informative.

koslonc

New User
Jeff
I used Roxul insulation in my recent shop build and I'm very pleased with the results. I does provide better sound absorbing and is also more moisture and fire resistant than pink fiberglass insulation. Lowes offers it online and will get it to your the local store of your choice. It is however more expensive than the pink stuff.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The ulment sound proofing product is Sonex. It's a polyfoam product with peaks & valleys that eats sound. It is what is used in audio & TV studios. I used it when we built the audio section of the city TV station here in Charlotte. The down side is it's expensive, however now there's copycat products that perform just as well at cheaper prices. You also don't need to cover an entire wall the product will do fine with spaces of 4 to 10 inches between the 4ft. square units. Another idea if possible round your room corners square corners creat standing waves. These products are available at a big box music store.

Pop

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
In the NCWW archives is some information about sound deadening that one of our members posted - as I recall back in '09 or '10. He used a product called "green glue" and was very pleased with it. His thread was very informative.

Scott, not sure if you are referring to me or not, but I used green glue for both my audio room and workshop, and have been very pleased with the results. The shop sits below the kitchen, and with the planer running it is no louder than hearing the hairdryer in the bathroom next to the kitchen with the door closed. IIRC, I bought it from this company

http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/

Don't remember the name of the owner, but he was very helpful as well.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Don't forget to isolate the cyclone using some type of grommet or engine mounts. If done right, it will eliminate low frequencies traveling through your walls and emitting sound elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors