Router Workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dgunny500

New User
Daniel
Has there ever been or is there interest in a router workshop? I picked up a Ryobi router and router table in a bundle of tools I bought, but haven't gotten any use out of them. I was just wondering if there could be a class on it sometime in the future?

-Daniel

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Joe Scharle has conducted several router workshops in the Triangle area in the past. They were awesome. Joe has now moved a couple of hours away.

Dgunny500

New User
Daniel
Joe Scharle has conducted several router workshops in the Triangle area in the past. They were awesome. Joe has now moved a couple of hours away.
Jeez, looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one. Thanks for replying.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Not necessarily. The highly skilled craftsmen in this group are very generous with their time. I suspect someone will be receptive to hosting another router workshop. If they do, my son and I are in. While I own eight routers, I have much to learn.

Dgunny500

New User
Daniel
Not necessarily. The highly skilled craftsmen in this group are very generous with their time. I suspect someone will be receptive to hosting another router workshop. If they do, my son and I are in. While I own eight routers, I have much to learn.
Ok cool that's good to know. I'll keep my eyes open for a workshop if it pops up.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My shop is always available for a workshop, and I know Phil S has made the same offer, if someone wants to be the instructor.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Routers are such versatile tools that I'm having trouble imagining what would be covered in a workshop. Mostly how to cover them in less than a week. But I have little imagination anyway. Maybe Joe will pipe up with some hints on what he covered and some sort of class plan so that somebody might step up to teach it.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Still there are "Greenhorns" such as myself, who only started woodworking 60+ years ago, (yes, I'm officially classified not as a Geezer, but as a Fossil!" And might learn something new to do with my 7 routers and 2 router tables. :icon_scra

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My basic router workshop was to familiarize people with the basic do's & do very carefully's.
Don't know if I can lay my hands on one of the handouts after moving. Couldn't find my wife first few days!
Perhaps someone can dig up their copy and pass it around, and should I stumble over a pile of paper containing anything of value, I'll throw in too!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Routers are such versatile tools that I'm having trouble imagining what would be covered in a workshop. Mostly how to cover them in less than a week. But I have little imagination anyway. Maybe Joe will pipe up with some hints on what he covered and some sort of class plan so that somebody might step up to teach it.

No need for a workshop to cover everything. The fact that there is so much possible material makes it easier in a lot of ways. No issues with coming up with enough material to cover.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jeremy's right. If you remember, I did basic router, router table and jigs as separate workshops although some were done in the same day.
I did find that DT jigs require a standalone workshop.

I found this on an old laptop. Maybe someone can use it to build upon.

Router Workshop
101 Basic Handheld 1 hr
I. Feed direction (safe or climb)
II. Edge Guide
Briefly show edge guide use
III. Dust Collection
Cover DC adapters
IV. Bit Care
Honing, oiling, storage

201 Router Table 1 hr
I. Plate Insert
Starter pin, insert rings, leveling
II. Fences, Jointer, ZCI
Stop blocks, jointer setup, show ZCI & bits
III. Dust Collection
Point out Keen DC
IV. Platen, Small Parts Holder
Demo

301 Jigs 2 hr
I. Dovetail/Box joint
Show Harbor Freight jig w/ DC
Show Box Joint jig on miter gauge
II. Dado
Demo jig
III. Hinge Mortise
Demo jig
IV. Circle/Ellipse
Show how used

401 Signs, Pantograph, Router lathe, Patterns, etc.
As per individual request

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Thought I'd add my Right Hand Rule to the above.
Thumb is router bit touching wood and forefinger is feed direction for safe cut. True for router table too.

IMG_20170206_121315783.jpg

IMG_20170206_121307957.jpg

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
A little home study i.e., routers 101 is a good start for the fundamentals of routers and router tables. I imagine that a workshop would include more advanced methods. :icon_scra

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/beginners-guide-choosing-router-bits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vl8Jbw3cSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggb8UgRwpA8

Jeff, your YouTube choices are very good representations of the gazillions of router videos on YouTube. I would like to add a series by Ron Fox, a British gentleman, on "Basic Router Jigs". There are a total of eight videos in his series:

https://youtu.be/FQImTCJbo3c

I like his very detailed style.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I found this on a laptop and made some spelling changes. Whomever wants to use it; feel free.
Keep in mind this workshop was usually 4 hours.

Router Workshop Student Worksheet

Basic Handheld Routing

I.
___Understand Right Hand Rule and can instantly tell safe direction.
___Understand when it’s safe to use climb cut.
___Make a hand-held pass each way on scrap.
II.
___Understand when and why an added fence is used on edge guides.
___Rout around a corner using standard edge guide.
III.
___Observe the duct collection systems on the routers exhibited and comment.
IV.
___Bit care demo.
___Understand that bits are honed on the flats in a typical shop.

Router Table

I.
___Understand Right Hand Rule on router table.
___Understand the plate leveling, insert rings and starter pin.
___Make a successful turn around a corner using the starter pin.
II.
___Align the fence with a bit’s bearing.
___Set stop blocks to control a measured distance using the ‘platen’.
___ Use ‘platen’ to make a measured cut.
___Observe ZCI aux fence demo by instructor.
III.
___ Demo Keene router table DC.
IV.
___Demo small parts holder.
___Using dbl sided tape in pattern routing.
___Understand pattern bit and trim edge bit.
___Understand why trim is made on wide pieces, then ripped to size.

Router Jigs

Jigs will be displayed/exhibited as requested by workshop attendees as time allows.
___Sign up for any jig workshop now and times will be posted later.

DADO jig use is a separate workshop.
___Sign up now and times will be posted later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors