Router Station Completed!!! See pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
That looks too cool to use, but don't hesitate, make dust with it!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I wouldn't mind having one like that myself, if I had any more space for another tool to sit that is. I really like that station!!!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Great looking set-up Travis, I've been looking at all kinds of different tables and station and you made up my mind, custom is the only way.

BTW, I'm glad to see someone else has a clean shop!:eusa_danc Jim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Nice looking router station. Norm's plans were originally based on a design by American Woodworker during the Rodale era. You have the same POTENTIAL DANGER as the original. Look at the switch. As mounted, it could be hooked by a belt loop, or shop apron as you turn. Meerly brushing against it could turn machine on. Consider changing switch to either a verticle position, adding a switch gaurd, or using a push button switch as Norm did. When AWW originally published their plans, I wrote and warned them of this potential problem. Still have issue publishing my original letter to the editor. In video from NYW, Norm emphasises the choice of push button switch as a safety issue.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Travis!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have wrestled with building a similar RT or adding an extension to my TS!:-? :-? :-? I am somewhat square footage impaired!:crybaby2:

Anyway. Get it dusty and let us know how it performs!

Great job!

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

OK now .... anyone want to get up a roadtrip? Sweep up all the sawdust out of your own shop and we'll fix his up so it looks like a REAL woodworking shop .... sawdust everywhere! :rolf::rolf:

take the top bag off his dust collector, and run it for just a few minutes, that should fix his wagon!:lol:

Travis

New User
Travis
Thans for the tip. I did not think about accidently turning it on. I did set the switch so that it turns off by flicking it to the right. I will put a push button switch on it soon. No need in hurting myself. That would really put a damper on the hobby.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Very nice Travis! Its a definate keeper and if you use it as much as I do you will really appreciate it.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Travis that looks great!! I'm building the same thing and I'm about 83% done. (Don't know, just picked a number :eusa_whis ) I'm planning on building my own switch also. I may be contacting you to pick your brain a little about yours.

Tom

Travis

New User
Travis
It was really simple. I used 12 gauge industrial drop cord that I wired with a 15 amp three prong plug to plug into existing outlet. The other end terminated into a stadard outlet with the neutral wire running to the switch then to the the ootlet. Plug the router into the switched outlet. throw the switch to complete the circuit and the router turns. Drop me line if you have any questions.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
It was really simple. I used 12 gauge industrial drop cord that I wired with a 15 amp three prong plug to plug into existing outlet. The other end terminated into a stadard outlet with the neutral wire running to the switch then to the the ootlet. Plug the router into the switched outlet. throw the switch to complete the circuit and the router turns. Drop me line if you have any questions.

As a retired electrical engineer I was a little disturbed to see you refer to placing the switch in the Neutral line; it's customary to put the switch in the Hot lead, else you have a live socket on the Hot side when the switch is off, a potential hazard.

HTH,

John

Monty

New User
Monty
OOOH yea - I missed that. The switch should interrupt the hot lead (usually black) instead of the neutral (white) lead!

I got to see this router table in person today - a fine display of craftsmanship, to be sure. Your shop is really coming along nicely.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thans for the tip. I did not think about accidently turning it on. I did set the switch so that it turns off by flicking it to the right. I will put a push button switch on it soon. No need in hurting myself. That would really put a damper on the hobby.

Travis, I have the same simple switch as you and don't see a real problem with it. We should NEVER trust any simple switch (pushbutton/contactor, toggle, etc) to work behind. We should pull the plug when changing bits and always assume the machine can start at any time if the plug is not pulled. Obviously, an open safety switch (disconnect) is generally safe.

I looked around Rocky Mount for an inexpensive pushbutton/relay style and could not find one. To Bruce's point, it would be nice to have a STOP PB (paddle style) available at thigh level to shut it off when making a stopped cut and I can see how a PB style switch would lend itself to that feature.

Chuck

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
great looking table/bench/ **** furniture! would love the plans to that! nice job again. how many months u plan before you went 3 over?:eusa_danc

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS