Router set-up on Radial Arm saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGriffies

New User
Marc
I have two Craftsman Radial arm saws (10" & 12") that are no longer in use. I am thinking about retooling one of them to accept a router instead of the saw motor to make an overhead router table. :rotflm:Yep, it's a joke but going to do it!

Will be drawing something on Sketch-up first but I need ideas! Is there anybody out there that can post a picture of your version?

Thanks for any help!
Marc Griffies

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
My old Craftsman RAS came with the opposite end of the motor shaft threaded for accessories. I think I have a 1/4" router chuck for my RAS, as well as a surface planer attachment. Never tried to use either one, for the record.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
RAS don't spin fast enough to make proper use of a router bit. Those surface planer attachments work surprisingly well. Especially the ones with the 3 hooked disks in them

It is fairly straight forward to turn them into Pin routers and I believe there use to be a company that made bolt on adapters for simple transitions.

YouTuber vid:

[video=youtube;bAfl6N2Yifc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAfl6N2Yifc[/video]

I've seen some luthiers use RAS routers for cutting binding channels.

Go for it.

MGriffies

New User
Marc
Yes! I am not planning to use the RAS motor but only to use the RAS motor mounts adapted to receive the router base instead of clamping router with pipe clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS