Router plate choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I've got the Rousseau 9" x 12" x 3/8" thick Router Plate in my RT -- it has two removable inserts that have a hole for P-C guide bushings, or 2-3/8" or 3-7/8" openings for the biggest bits.

Rousseau_routerplate.jpg

Works the nuts and is only about $40. Rob

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Router-table sub-plate aids small part shaping

I've got the Rousseau 9" x 12" x 3/8" thick Router Plate in my RT -- it has two removable inserts that have a hole for P-C guide bushings, or 2-3/8" or 3-7/8" openings for the biggest bits.

Rousseau_routerplate.jpg

Works the nuts and is only about $40. Rob

What is the flex like on this Rob? I have the MLCS phenolic one and it sags under the weight of my 2HP Freud. I would like their Ali one, but $70 is out of budget.

M

McRabbet

I have my 3-1/2 HP Milwaukee VS Router hanging under this plate and it doesn't sag at all -- at 3/8" thick, it shouldn't sag at all.

Rob

DavidF

New User
David

I have my 3-1/2 HP Milwaukee VS Router hanging under this plate and it doesn't sag at all -- at 3/8" thick, it shouldn't sag at all.

Rob

Any particular place selling it at a good price at the moment that you know of?

DavidF

New User
David

Thanks Rob, although I just rechecked the MLCS site and the plate I have is also 3/8 thick and definatly sags so maybe I'll try and get hold of a piece of aluminium plate and make one.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon

Any particular place selling it at a good price at the moment that you know of?

I just found out that Oak Parks, of The Router Workshop fame, has an April clearance sale on some of their 11" Router plates... they're 1/4" phenolic...
I know Oak Park sells quality stuff... sale is only on certain brands of routers but one can drill their own holes (yes?) :) ...
If anyone can use them, now you know... & good luck...
Oak Park Enterprises Ltd.: Catalogue
$29.95

M

McRabbet

Thanks Rob, although I just rechecked the MLCS site and the plate I have is also 3/8 thick and definatly sags so maybe I'll try and get hold of a piece of aluminium plate and make one.
Before you build one, read the info here from Rousseau -- they guarantee that it won't sag -- I can attest that mine doesn't sag and my router is no lightweight! It is made of a very hard phenolic material and now includes a leveling sysem similat to Zero Clearance Inserts (I have two of these plates; my earlier one did not have the levelers built-in). A big plus is the pop out rings, which would be hard to duplicate with an aluminum plate.

HTH -- Rob

DavidF

New User
David

Before you build one, read the info here from Rousseau -- they guarantee that it won't sag -- I can attest that mine doesn't sag and my router is no lightweight! It is made of a very hard phenolic material and now includes a leveling sysem similat to Zero Clearance Inserts (I have two of these plates; my earlier one did not have the levelers built-in). A big plus is the pop out rings, which would be hard to duplicate with an aluminum plate.

HTH -- Rob

They do say it won't sag, but I'm also not sure about a "crown" to ensure that the centre is the highest point - I JUST WANT IT FLAT!!!!

M

McRabbet

The crown is just a few thousandths -- it does not affect cutting depth that I've ever noticed. Rob

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
David,

I have the WoodHaven 9 1/4 X 11 1/2 large plate (3/8") and it's dead on flat. I'm hanging an old Hitachi TR12 off it and has no deflection.

Dan C.

Nativespec

New User
David
Get the metal. I have the Benchdog (Tyler Tool had the best price - around $80). I also have the cast iron wing on the table saw (about $300) this is a great choice in my oppinion. It takes a while to adjust the insert, but everything is perfectly flat and I can run dados against my table saw fence if I need to.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I use the rousseau as well and have never had any problems with it. I have also found that the slight crown is beneficial to a good cut because it kind of cancels out any issues you may have with small bits of sawdust under the board. But even on the cleanest table, it has never affected the quality of my cuts negatively. just my $.02

p.s.- sometimes amazon does sales on them. I g ot mine from there for $26, so if you don't need it immediately you can wait it out.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I'll second Dan C.'s assessment of the Woodhaven router plate. I have a number of their products and they are second to none as Woodhaven specializes in router accessories and equipment. They offer aluminum plates if you have the cash. I have two phenolic plates from them with a PC 7518 on one and a Freud FT2000E on the other and have no sagging. I particularly like the fact that the Woodhaven plates come with different size inserts to close up around the bits. I also have their fence and it is second to none for straightness and versatility.

Here is the link: http://www.woodhaven.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors