Router Plane

EAK

New User
Ed
I am in the market for a router plane. I have a small Lie-Nielsen that I use for mortising small box hinges. I am thinking that I would like to have a full sized plane to clean out dados, etc.

Anyone have advice on the Katz - Moses, Lie - Nielsen, or Veritas tools?

Thanks
EAK

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I am thinking that I would like to have a full sized plane to clean out dados, etc.
That's an excellent call. Nothing worse than finding that a dado has a hump in it when you're gluing up.

I looked at today's retail store choices and I think I'd opt for the brand John likes, Sharpening that cutter is an annoyance on my two Stanley ones that I acquired in the 1980s. I think that if I did a lot of hand tool work, I'd opt for the Veritas and dump the Stanleys.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Started with a light weight strait cutter no-name Chinese thingy (Crowyman like) made from a flat plate. Too light, course adjustment, not great blade steel. Hated it. Got a Bench Dog. OK, now I had a good working tool. Don't care for the open throat but keep mine on a large extended base anyway. Then I got the K-M. I LOVE it. I would pick the Veritas second. Similar. I do like the canted knobs over the Stanly strait knobs ( L-N) Fit and finish of the Veritas is probably a tiny bit better than K-M, but we are talking a simple de-burr and tune. None perfect in my book. If I were designing, it would be a combination.

A new one is the Melbourne. Much cheaper, strait cutter rather than the hag's tooth. Worth a look maybe. If I were to buy again, it would be another K-M. I have not bought additional cutters. I was about to, but seems they have not restocked since the holidays. Lead times from China et. al. TayTools has one most like the Stanley, but expect a far rougher fit and finish and I have been a little skeptical about their blade steel not up to modern standards. Basically generic Chinese supplied. I would not an neither go for the E-bay ripoffs of the KM.

There are quite a few You-Tube discussions of the LN-KN-Veritas choice. Maybe a feature of one or another would ring a bell for you different than me. Unfortunately, you are a little far away so can't invite you to drop by and give mine a try. It comes down to personal feature choice as they are the top quality tools.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My first premium hand plane was a Veritas router plane, and I have no regrets.

I've asked people who have used both the Veritas and Lie-Nielsen why they chose one over the other, and the reason was largely based on looks

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I have had the Veritas for several years with the full range of cutters, plus the inlay cutter set.
In the box I made for it I included a place for a second one to be purchased in the near future.
I've very pleased with its performance and enjoy using it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170918_093611_594.JPG
    IMG_20170918_093611_594.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170918_093611_604.JPG
    IMG_20170918_093611_604.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170918_093611_606.JPG
    IMG_20170918_093611_606.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 44

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have had the Veritas for several years with the full range of cutters, plus the inlay cutter set.
In the box I made for it I included a place for a second one to be purchased in the near future.
I've very pleased with its performance and enjoy using it.
I don't know anything about router planes but I love that box. Any chance you could PM me some dimensions and or the process or plans for that. I'm not super creative until I have made mistakes that need to be hidden then I like the changes. I assume it walnut and cherry. Love the inlay, did you make it or buy it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have the Katz-Moses. I've only just played with it, but my initial impression is very positive. I bought the extra blades in various widths and a Makita systainer to keep everything together.

1707933283873.jpeg

1707933364875.jpeg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have the Veritas. It's a very good tool but truthfully I've never been totally happy with the locking mechanism. When tightly locked you can still move the cutter up and down. I found this out inadvertently when trying to adjust without unscrewing the lock screw.

In my hands, I'm just as happy to use my Stanley.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have two older Stanley’s and one Bench Dog, I’m happy with all of them.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
How great it is that we have a choice between top quality tools, medium quality tools, and junk. I'll take that tough decision any day compared to many other choices where we have bad, worse, and terrible.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS