Router Plane

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
In need of a router plane for a project I am currently working on. Looked at all the higher end name brands and came across one that Katz Moses offers. Looks like a very nice tool and in the same price range. Anyone familiar with it? The Lie Neilson is $255.00 (out of stock) Veritas is $199.00 appears to be in stock, Bench Dog is $139.00 and Katz is $189.00 with free shipping but unable to determine if it is stock. Sent them an email, no reply as of yet.
I have read several comments on router planes on the forum, and the Lie and Veritas have good reviews. But that Katz one is intriguing, but if you are trying to sell a product, only the best qualities are high lighted. And I know you guys don't hold back. :p So your opinion is appreciated.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
FWIW Veritas is pissed at KM for selling a (pretty blatant IMO) ripoff of their router plane, down to the details on the casting. I wouldn't buy it on principle. But then again I would buy a cheapo one (my stanley was like $60 or so) or stick a chisel in a block of wood with a wedge.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the Veritas large and small ones. The large one is phenomenal. The small one is challenging to set up and lock at a uniform depth.
I also have 2 Old Stanley ones. One is the Aliminum type (do not recall the number) and the other is cast. Both are better than the Veritas. I recommend finding one of these if you can. If not you should be pleased with the veritas.
Often a shoulder plane or bullnose will do the same thing and they are much easier to sharpen

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was going to suggest a vintage Stanley but when I looked at the current prices it makes more sense to buy a new Bench Dog.
I read something about a copy of the Veritas but I haven't seen one.

For what it's worth there are lots of Chinese companies copying Woodpeckers tools and nobody seems to care.
Search for red ruler and see how many different companies come up.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Reply from Katz Moses email, yeah that's not gonna work for me.

The KM-17 Router Plane is currently available for pre-sale. We are expected to receive the next shipment of router planes towards the end of February.
Once our warehouse receives the shipment, we will begin fulfilling orders in the order that they were received. If ordered today, the package will most likely be shipped and delivered by the first week of March.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have the Veritas large and small ones. The large one is phenomenal. The small one is challenging to set up and lock at a uniform depth.

On the small Veritas, setting the cut depth with a plane adjusting hammer works well for me.
F4529429-4926-4FF7-8F3F-BA6267958F43.jpeg

Keeping the blade from twisting has been a minor problem. I’m considering sanding a flat along the length of the blade stem for the lock screw to bear against.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the large veritas and I like it a lot. Have never used an old Stanley, so I cannot speak to that, but when the price of the old ones get too high, I tend to jump to the new..... I am considering buying one of the Paul Sellers kits to make a smallish one just not sure how often I would use it.... but I still WANT one!

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
My diy tool making tries, aahhh not to good. I want to support the hard working people that make tools for people like me!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I recently ordered the Katz-Moses router plane. I got a note from them that the current batch is sold out and the next one should be available in March.

I don't have anything planned until then anyway, so I'm not worried about the wait. I hope it's not longer than that.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own and use regularly a couple vintage Stanley 71s, I also have a Bench Dog router plane and it’s a solid product and priced right. I have used the Veritas product and it is a great tool. By the same token I have materials staged to make a couple wooden ones. Kats product looks like a really nice tool. Rip off or not it’s a tool with what appears to be notable improvements that are strictly convenience compared to others. I’ll reserve judgement until after the dust has settled on his product.
for the money I’d go with the Bench Dog product mentioned by Mike. It is a solid tool that will last. Or you could build one over a weekend.

Echd

C
User
FWIW Veritas is pissed at KM for selling a (pretty blatant IMO) ripoff of their router plane, down to the details on the casting. I wouldn't buy it on principle. But then again I would buy a cheapo one (my stanley was like $60 or so) or stick a chisel in a block of wood with a wedge.

That's a pretty firm shot across the bow for KM.

I can't put my finger on it but I just find the guy kind of unlikable. Which is weird because his content is perfectly fine and generally very informative. Not sure what it is.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, apparently the Bench Dog is an exact copy of Lie-Nielsen. Made in India with slightly less finesse.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors