router mortising jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
in preparation for a number of mortises I need to make, I took the plunge (pun intended) and built a mortising jig for the router. Til now, I've either done them blind on the router table which is a bit of pain to setup or just chopped them with a chisel/mallet. On a recent post on routers and tables, someone mentioned Carol Reed's book "Router Joinery Workshop". so I picked it up at the library, thumbed through it and here's what I got- my new mortising jig!. Basically the router just rides in the miter slot (from my little router table) that sits on top of a fixed jaw (1.5" thick). The other is moveable and clamps the workpiece. The router lady used a veneer press screw, which I haven't got, so I'll just improvise for now. I made router stops for the miter slot out of maple and so far have just secured them with a clamp, but will likely to need to upgrade at some point.

DSC006241.JPG

View image in gallery

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
so far so good -easily repeatable mortises. here are some i routed this morning for the aprons of a pair of side tables I'm building. It took a few minutes to setup and not much longer than that to cut them.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
are you making loose tenons? I don't see how that jig could make the tenon in the end of apron...I assume those will not be loose but made on the table saw etc.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
are you making loose tenons? I don't see how that jig could make the tenon in the end of apron...I assume those will not be loose but made on the table saw etc.

agreed. it's just for mortises. funny you should mention it though b/c I recently made a new and improved tenoning tablesaw jig from a shopnotes plan. i'll post some photos of that when I start cutting the tenons.

Sam

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to cut mortises this way and if I make some more kitchen chairs I will again. I have the jig already made up. It uses template guides but I still use the plunge router to make the mortises. I don't love the plunge cut or the screaming router making the rest of the cut. But I like the results. It makes the nicest looking most consistently sized mortises of any technique I've tried.

What I generally do now is use my hollow chisel mortiser. But if I didn't have it, I would still use the plunge router.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS