Router Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I was wondering about experiences with various brands of bits.

For me, I like Freud, CMT, Jessada. Every one has been spot on, rake angles best for least tearout and burning. I'm loading up on Freuds because I have a local seller. I have accumulated a hodge podge of bits over time, and Eagle America is pretty good. Their benefit is that they have a lot of profiles that are not special order. Their top/bottom bearing flush bits rule for onsite building.

As for cheap bits, What is the comparison between Woodline America and Grizzly purple? I haven't bought these. If I were starting out (and didn't have 10 lbs of bits) I would think hard about buying a set. I'm still looking to see if they are any good for one time run stuff.

I have to say I like the Bosch bits from Lowes. I haven't bought any rail/stile bits, though.

In a contest of the semi elite bits, I like Freud best. This is because they seem to stay workably sharp longer than any others I've tried.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I started out with cheap bits but tend to only buy from the big boys now. I too like Freud, CMT and used to like Jesada until they went out of business, were still taking orders on their website and didn't tell anyone (charged my card and never shipped). I think they are back now but only sell to dealers. Carlos is out of the business and his son started up Infinity. He offers the whole Jesada line but now in silver. I have a stile and rail set in Ogee from CMT, a cove from Infinity and will soon have the tongue & groove shaker set from Freud. I have a spiral pattern bit from Whiteside that I love also.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Just in case William, we do have a Freud rep that frequents this site, and he has been more than happy to answer any question about his products. Oh, BTW.. I like the Freud bits as well

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
clowman said:
Just in case William, we do have a Freud rep that frequents this site, and he has been more than happy to answer any question about his products. Oh, BTW.. I like the Freud bits as well

suck up!:lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
William,
When I started out I used to buy Craftsman bits mainly due to inexperience and not having access to other brands. I bought a set of theirs but quickly learned that you are better off buying your bits as you need them. Lately I have been staying pretty much with Freud because I am happy with them. I have a few specialty bits from Woodcraft and Rockler and they do OK but don't see a lot of use. I haven't tried any bits from Jessada or Grizzly yet. I've picked up a PC bit from HD a couple weeks ago and it is comparable to the Bosch bits carried by Lowe's I think. I prefer to buy 1/2" shanks whenever possible unless I am going to use them in my trim router.

D L

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been very happy with Freud, Amana, and CMT. Whiteside I have been disappointed with due to an interchangeable bearing and the allen head rounding out. Cuts good, just a cheap screw. I have not been happy with Bosch as I bought a stile and rail set and it took 3 hours to get the shims right. Didn't cut as clean either. Have bought a few Porter Cable bits, they have been OK, nothing special. Craftsman bits have been a bit on the cheap side to me.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Craftsman bits are in a league by themselves and unfortunately it is the "little league". I guess we all have bought some Craftsman bits much to our chagrin. My favorites are the same as others have mentioned; CMT, Freud, and Amana. I am no expert on rake angles or any of that technical stuff but I base my assessment on how cleanly I have seen them cut from my personal experience.

Interestingly enough I have only ever had one router bit fail and that was a brand new CMT dovetail bit on its third cut while using it in my Keller jig. One wing of the carbide came off and stuck itself in a cardboard box I had set up to contain the chips from the routing operation. I do not stand in front of the piece being routed; I stand behind it. Don't ask me why but I seem to be able to control the cut better standing behind the jig. If I had been in front I could have been hurt. Anyway, I sent the bit and the piece of carbide that came off to CMT and they sent me a two bits, one as a replacement and one for my trouble. They also apologized profusely in a letter that accompanied the replacement bits. I think that speaks highly of the company.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I forgot about Amana, I have a few and like them also. Porter Cable doesn't make the bits themselves they are just brand labeled. They were made by Oldham (Viper) and also sourced from China and probably still are. Porter Cable, Delta, Oldham, DeVilbiss and Bissmeyer are all part of the same tool group recently purchased by Black & Decker.

I also buy 1/2" shank wherever possible.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I totally agree on the 1/2 inch preference. The more steel the better in my mind. A 1/4 shank on a 1 1/2 inch diameter cutter is a bit scary.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Years ago I bought bit because of price and not knowing what I was doing. I agree that 1/2" shank is better because of it is more stable in the router. I use Frend, Bosch, and CMT bits. I like the CMT for rails, stiles and raised panel bits.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I don't have any Amana bits. I agree about shank size. The biggest shank that will fit in the jig or bushing is always best. Jessada went out of business? Boy am I behind the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS