Roubo with 4/4

decibel

New User
Patrick
I'm really wrestling with the idea of building my top of 4/4 material. I bought quite a bit of 4/4 maple probably 8 years ago from a group buy to build a bench but before I had any idea about a Roubo. I have some 8/4 stock just not a ton (probably enough to laminate the legs). I'm just hung up on dropping some substantial $$ for ~ 150 board feet of lumber vs using what I already have. Any issues besides a ton of milling and gluing?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
A few years back Garrett Hack built a bench and for the top, he laminated up thinner stock to make the top. His ended up at about 3 inches thick. The stock was variable in width but all planed to the same thickness. This allowed him to put the nicest pieces on top and use some lower grade stuff for the other layers. Of course all the joints were staggered. Seems like a good use of materials and a way to use up some stuff that isn't perfectly clear or straight-grained. I think you should do it and get on with your bench.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
James Wright (Wood by Wright on YouTube) built his bench from 4/4 material, since he had plenty of it on hand. He's a hand tool woodworker, and has been using it for 2 years, without any issues. Like you said, "a ton of milling and gluing."

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I considered doing this... my local lumberyard had 4/4 x 4" hard maple shorts (6ft) for $2.50/bf. from a job that was never paid in full. In the end I'm SO glad I didn't do it though. When you price in the gallon of Titebond you need, plus the wear to your planer and jointer knives, plus the wear on your sanity, it's not worth it IMO.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Guys, thanks for the feedback. I went to go find out how much lumber I still had stored away and only had a few sticks of maple, the majority of it was 13/16 hickory. So I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment to mill and glue up that much hickory :eek:.

So I'll be picking up some maple in the next couple days

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS