Rosette Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
A friend of mine asked me if I would make him some of these blocks to go at the top of the door casing in a house he is remodeling. I was wondering if someone has a router bit that will make this cut. I've looked at some online, and they are rather expensive for just 4 blocks. Does anyone have one I could use or would you be willing to simply route four blocks for me? I'm sure I have some things I could offer up in trade.
Joe_-_Door_Rosette_Block.jpg

View image in gallery

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
These rosette bits are not for routers (for those I've seen), but for the drill press. Most WWing stores carry them, including Rockler, etc.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have one you are welcome to use. It has been used to make exactly two of those (as shown below), so it is still pretty sharp :>

I'd make them for you, but my drill press doesn't have the slow speed or power required for it - I had to visit one of our members shops to use it!

PM me if you are interested.

DoorTrim.jpg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I wood think my drill press wood handle that bit just fine. PM me if interested I am right on 39 at the Emit light, crossroad 231 and 39:gar-Bi

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I have one you are welcome to use. It has been used to make exactly two of those (as shown below), so it is still pretty sharp :>

I'd make them for you, but my drill press doesn't have the slow speed or power required for it - I had to visit one of our members shops to use it!

PM me if you are interested.

DoorTrim.jpg

thanks merrill. I am hoping someone closer to the jamestown area might can help me.
There is a purdue grad in our scout troop. He's a pretty solid guy too.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I was wondering if someone has a router bit that will make this cut.

That cut was likely done with something that looked like a router bit, but it was a bit used in a boring machine like a big Oliver. A boring machine of that scale weighs maybe 600 lbs and looks like a small overarm router. A milling machine would be a good modern equivalent.

That looks like heart pine put up with square nails. That dates it. The router bit that did that was likely custom ground. The circle scales somewhere just shy of 3" in diameter. That'll shake the chuck off a cheap drill press.

Generally speaking, duplicating that profile with turning tools on a wood lathe would be the best bet for that if that's the profile that has to be matched. Matching an existing profile in a rosette is often required for better restoration/remodeling work.

Here's a conversation about rosette cutters on another forum
Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS