Rolling Workbench - yes or no?

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
So I am looking to build a workbench but it will be absolutely nowhere near as nice as @Mark Johnson's. (https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/building-a-workbench.72786/)

I have a small shop - 10x20, so I am thinking I would like to build 2 narrow benches that could be pulled together to use as one large bench. I have not settled on my final length and width, but am thinking about 18-24" wide by 6-8' long. It will ultimately depend on what else I put in the shop.

So with that said, I found a design online for a bench that you can pull together. He has the cut list, instructions, etc.
What has me a bit perplexed is how sturdy and/or strong it will be. He essentially doubles up 2x6's for the legs, BUT they don't touch the floor.
At this time, I am not going to be doing any planing or furniture making. This bench will be primarily for me to use to assemble some things or cut ply using a circular saw, etc.
So am I way off base on my thinking that having wheels as the main contact point to the shop floor is a problem?

A potential solution: I have seen some wheels that engage the floor only when you press the lever down, then when you move the lever up, the wood legs are what contacts the ground.

1622758778518.png

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
If you put it on wheels, the compound of the tires may be the most important consideration of all. Small, hard plastic wheels, like the ones shown in the photo will scoot around every time you apply any horizontal force on the work surface. You won't be happy. Polyurethane wheels--I'm familiar with the red wheels in catalogs plus Lowe's carries a decent brand--stick to the floor much better. 8 wheels should hold the two benches in place under most conditions.

Add a 1 1/2" or thicker top and this bench is going to get heavy. That leads you to larger wheels to better roll over floor seams and cracks. All this blah, blah, blah to get to my recommendation--polyurethane, double lock casters in 4" or 5" diameter. And one suggestion: put 3/4" plywood across the bottom joists to make a shelf. That's a lot of storage space (priceless in a small shop) that will be lost floor space if you don't.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found locking casters don't work for a work bench. I suggest putting the casters on a flip down so the feet can sit firm on the floor or go to retractable feet. Nothing worse than a bench that wiggles and when on casters, it will.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is best to get it (the workbench) up on wheels to move it around and back on the legs when using it.
I got some like these; https://smile.amazon.com/SPACECARE-...ruction+Urethane+Wheels&qid=1622769930&sr=8-5

But they weren't up to the task - my bench is too heavy (too much crap) in addition to the planer, sander, jigsaw and vises...
But in your case where you have or want an assembly table, I think they would work.

The really cool part about this style is that you can buy more mounting plates and use the casters on different benches... (the original plan... but at that cost.. who cares...)

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I think I would use some of the casters that raise out of the way when you are using the bench.I know Rockler and Woodcraft have them but I am not sure about klingspor’s.

1622770081023.jpeg

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want it primarily for assembly, you might consider a Ron Paulk design. There are many variations, some knock down, some with fixed base. It is very sturdy and can be build with casters.
paulk-bench-2-1.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Casters that lock both wheels and swivels are good.

I use the red casters, and yes the urethane eventually shreds off. Took about 5 years on mine (very heavy assembly table). I think it depends on weight, floor surface and how much you move it.

Having 4 swivel casters increase maneuverability.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Bill J

Bill
User
I have a small shop and everything is on wheels. I put these on my workbench and am very happy with them.
I also have these on my bench and they work very well. I only use them when I need the space. The only caveat is that they do stick out a few inches.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I built a small workbench for my garage because I have limited space I added these wheels. I love them. They are solid, they have 6 screws to hold them on and they are easy to raise and lower my bench.

Fred J

Fred
User
My “shop” is a functional 2 car garage. I built one of those collapsible tables with wheels off YT. It’s sturdy enough that I can use it in conjunction with a ladder to stack boxes and things on the shelves in the garage. Specific wheels are personal preference. All my tools are on rolling flip carts…I even have the small chest freezer on a rolling cart. I wish I designed it as Scott mentioned with flip down feet but I built this a while ago. The best feature is that it collapses and can be put away when not in use since it’s not a dedicated shop. By the time you get suggestions from the forum and researching on your own, you’ll end up with a table that suits your needs.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I had the same idea as you, only built the table saw and router lift section so far, it has been great. I fiinished making new cabinets and doors for my entire kitchen with it and only had a couple of space issues which was expected.

Attachments

• workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 177799-aa8d2b05ca40ad99dabaaf85f9a67fe5.jpg
    177799-aa8d2b05ca40ad99dabaaf85f9a67fe5.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 146
  • workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Assembly cart 2.jpg
    Assembly cart 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 149

bainin

New User
bainin
I did all mine on casters and have been very happy with the ability to move them around and re-arrange the space for different projects.
Sometimes there is some slipping /imbalance on the casters on my wavy concrete pad..but thats the concretes fault-not the casters :)

The lift and drop style are a nice option for stability but the issue I have with those is that they stick out
from the sides, and disallow putting tables end to end to make an extended table or a larger table from 2.

b
shoproom.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am currently using the wheels show by Lecil (wooduser) and work quite well. The only draw back is where you place them. If they will stick out in a travel path, you may end up kicking them a couple of times until you get used to them being there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS