Rockwell 46-111 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
I am looking at purchasing a used Rockwell 46-111 lathe. I want to learn how to turn and want something inexpensive. The seller is asking $200. Is this a fair price? The unit has everything except a stand. I figure to buy a stand from Harbor Freight for $30 and make a bed out of plywood to attach the lathe to.
I am looking for advice:
1. Is this a unit to start out with?
2. What is a price I should offer to buy this for.

Your help would be appreciated.
TNScrollsawRich:help:

Sully

New User
jay
What's included? motor? centers? tool rests? chucks? What conditions are the bearings in?

Personally I wouldn't pay more than about $75-$100 for it, unless there are a lot of accessories. But I'm frugal, aka cheap. :gar-Bi

J

For the others, this is what a 46-111 lathe looks like. This is not mine. It's from OWWM

11916-A.jpg

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
As previously stated, the price of the lathe depends on the condition and accessories with it.
As for the base, I look for someone doing a remodel and buy the bathroom vanity from the. The top can be out of plywood and tha back filled in with 1/2". The drawers and bottom can be used for storage. Even if you put it on casters, the cost is possibly less, recycled material and storage all a bonus.
Just my .02 worth.

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
the lathe is in good condition, has the motor 2 tool rests - 4" & 12", a dead center and live center. There is not other chuck.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rich, if you make the plunge you will find out that the lathe is just the tip of the iceberg. A good chuck, grinder, sharpening jigs and quality turning tools will quickly add up. That is not a bad thing just part of the addiction.

Whatever you buy should be variable speed. The head stock and tail stock should be perfectly in alignment (up/down and side to side). Most lathes are belt driven. Make sure the belt is in good shape and not an odd ball size. You should also check out the head stock to make sure it is spinning straight and true. If not it could mean a bad bearing our a bent shaft.

I am sure I missed a few points but I think you get the idea. BTW IMHO $200 is a little high. Not terrible but $150 would be better.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
<snip>

For the others, this is what a 46-111 lathe looks like. This is not mine. It's from OWWM

11916-A.jpg
With respect..that <points up> is what a *Delta* 46-111 looks like.

A *Rockwell* 46-111 may look like that..or it may have a hypnotic yellow color proudly proclaiming "I was cost-reduced by Rockwell International !".

Seriously, the 46-111 was always an entry level lathe and it suffered some under the Rockwell International ("peace symbol" era) cost cutting exercises.

Unless you can get the lathe considerably cheaper, I would pass on it for the following reasons:
compared to say the popular HF 12" lathe, the Rockwell is:
- a little smaller capacity at 11" diameter max
- requires tools to move the banjo and tailstock
- requires manual belt-changing to change speeds
- slowest speed is 1000 rpm - too fast for most bowl turning
- in need of a stand
- at least..hmmm..30 years old (might be time to replace some belts and bearings)

Check the machine carefully for broken, damaged or missing cast or factory-machined parts, e.g. a cracked tailstock. They haven't been made for 30 years either. You would have to scrounge replacements.

Cheers,
-Mark

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
Thanks for the advice to all. When I inspected the lathe, the pulley on the headstock was split. I looked at www.acetoolrepair to find if a replacement is available but see that it is no longer made. So I passed on the lathe and am waiting for something else to come along. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait and continue to scroll saw my bowls.

Thanks to everyone.

TNScrollsaw Rich

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
Thanks for the advice. When I inspected the lathe, the pulley on the headstock was split. I looked at www.acetoolrepair to find if a replacement is available but see that it is no longer made. So I passed on the lathe and am waiting for something else to come along. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait and continue to scroll saw my bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS