Rocket Mass Heater or other suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Pellet stoves are very efficient heating machines that require little work. If you can insure it, it's pretty much only requires a bag of pellets every so often and a 115 outlet. Had several friends out in WA that had them and I was exceptionally impressed. They heat up fast and the flame is contained inside.
My son being the resourceful kind a guy he is takes a old tee-shirt, a match head and clothes dryer lint to make fire starters. He makes a ball about 1" in diameter by compressing lint and a match head in to a torn price of old tee-shirt. He soaks the whole thing in melted parifin wax. Those little balls burn for like 20 minutes and are great when camping to start a camp fire.

I researched those pellets and it's basically the same kind of principle... tightly compressed sawdust pushed through a die.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Yep that's the ticket. They are cheap. I have seen them roughly $230 a ton here, probably cheaper in NC and from a supplier. They come in a ton per pallet in 40 lbs bags. One of the guys I work with uses 2 tons a winter up here to heat his house. I would think a ton would last your shop 2 years conservatively. If I wasn't renting up here and moving this summer, I would have one.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
my big concern with a wood stove is open flame. If you spray lacquer or pretty much any oil based product things could get loud in a hurry. think BOOM! I warm the shop with a kerosene torpedo and then turn on the electric heater to keep it warm. kero stinks but I only use it to get the temps up. the smell dissipates fairly quick. electric heater is one of those 220volt ceiling mounted things from tractor supply.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
my big concern with a wood stove is open flame. If you spray lacquer or pretty much any oil based product things could get loud in a hurry. think BOOM! I warm the shop with a kerosene torpedo and then turn on the electric heater to keep it warm. kero stinks but I only use it to get the temps up. the smell dissipates fairly quick. electric heater is one of those 220volt ceiling mounted things from tractor supply.
AS fast a Fred works, I am shocked he uses a heater at all - by the time the shop is warm he is done!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
To those expressing concerns about car exhaust entering the house I should make it clear that my shop is a former garage. It is not 'in a garage.' It is now remodeled / conditioned / insulated space in the house. It is no longer capable of housing a vehicle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors