Rikon Band Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I've owned this exact model now for about 2 yrs and still love it !

Nice generous table, good resaw capacity (3/4 inch blade max).

Easy to change blades, quick release tension, cast iron wheels, 1 1/2hp 2 speed motor,the list of features are fantastic esp at this sale price.

Also, I like the storage area underneath! It fits my 2 garage shop without a huge footprint.

I think if you go any bigger, then your at 240v.

Dont what else to say!

Matt

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It is the only 14 inch saw that will resaw 13 inch wide boards and it does a great job of it.

I've had mine a couple years too and still love it. I would buy that same saw again.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I've owned this exact model now for about 2 yrs and still love it !

Nice generous table, good resaw capacity (3/4 inch blade max).

Easy to change blades, quick release tension, cast iron wheels, 1 1/2hp 2 speed motor,the list of features are fantastic esp at this sale price.

Also, I like the storage area underneath! It fits my 2 garage shop without a huge footprint.

I think if you go any bigger, then your at 240v.

Dont what else to say!

Matt

Agree on all counts. I've only had mine for a few weeks but so far it's performed flawlessly. I'm getting ready to convert it to 240 though. It works great at 120v, I'm just hoping to get a snappier spin up when it's first powered on. Those nice, heavy cast iron wheels take a bit to get going....

Travis

dave

New User
Dave
Wow, thanks guys!! I suspect I'll be making a trip to the woodcraft store very soon!!

Dave

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I am in the market for a bandsaw too and the Rikon seemed like a good deal but I was also interested in the 14" PM for $150 more. Is it worth the difference? Also, there is a 10% off one item in the flier coupon with the WC flier - I wonder if it applies to the Rikon. I can see it does not apply to the PM.

dave

New User
Dave
Hey Mike - which PM 14 are your referring to? The only one I see is listed at $999 and has only a 6" resaw capacity. I liked the Rikon because it has 13" resaw.

The 10% off in the flyer is not valid on power tools. :wsad:

I plan to use it for a workbench though! :wsmile:

Dave

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I am in the market for a bandsaw too and the Rikon seemed like a good deal but I was also interested in the 14" PM for $150 more. Is it worth the difference? Also, there is a 10% off one item in the flier coupon with the WC flier - I wonder if it applies to the Rikon. I can see it does not apply to the PM.

I've never used the PM so maybe it has something the Rikon doesn't but I'm know sure what that could be. The Rikon is fully tricked out with all the bells and whistles and there will come a time when you want to resaw more than 6"..... I personally wouldn't recommend paying more for less....

To quote a wise man from another Thread:

I see you have not been fully indoctrinated; you must drink more of the cool aid...

"No bandsaw is too big for anything, but all of them are too small for something."
Therefore, to ensure maximum success, when the wife okays a bandsaw for cutting 1/4" plywood, you should come home with an Oliver... :rolf:

DRINK THE COOLAID BROTHER! It's wonderful!

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
On the back of the WC flier it says the PM PWBS-14CS will be $849.99 from 11.27 to 11.30 - four days only. Seems like a good deal.

I am not really after resaw capacity. I have a 20" Grizzly I picked up used that is only for resawing. However, the extra throat capacity of the Rikon is great even if I don't use it for resawing.

Yea, I see the fine print where the 10% off is not on power tools.

dave

New User
Dave
Ah... I was looking at the website, not the flyer. Worth stopping by WC and checking out both saws.

Dave

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe Klingspor also had a deal on the Rikon. I would call the Raleigh Klingspor and ask. Based on my prior experiences they try to match or beat WC. I find the Klingspor crew very good to work with.

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks Scott, I'll check that out.

Let me also also ask opinions on my situation. I am obviously thinking about getting the band saw, but since I have a small budget at present, I want to be sure I am getting tools that will get me farther along.

At present, I am making frames and other smaller items - clocks, candle holders, boxes, etc. Nothing very big at present. I was thinking of the band saw so that I could resaw lumber to the thickness I need for each project (buying thicker lumber versus buying several different sizes) and also cut curves/circles easier.

I am also drawn to a lathe as I think I would love turning. I currently have a table saw, router, jointer/planer, table top drill press, bench sander, and my little CNC.

I know that's not great deal of information, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on which tool I should consider and why. I suspect I could get along longer without a band saw, but I no nothing of turning and don't have any projects that requires a lathe at this point (although I am sure I could come up with some :gar-Bi).

Thanks!

Dave

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Get the band saw. If and WHEN you get into turning you will need the band saw to trim up blanks.

And always get the best you can afford. You will enjoy quality long after the hurt from shelling out a little extra cash has passed.

dave

New User
Dave
Get the band saw. If and WHEN you get into turning you will need the band saw to trim up blanks.

And always get the best you can afford. You will enjoy quality long after the hurt from shelling out a little extra cash has passed.

Thanks Phillip! Good advice... Most of my tools so far have been "budget" tools, but I am at a point where I want to spend more on quality tools.

Dave

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'm fighting that battle now. When I first started tinkering in the realm of wood I got cheap stuff. I've managed to get good larger tools (i.e. table saw, band saw, jointer) but my smaller stuff (i.e. clamps, gadgets, etc) have all been cheap and I hate working on stuff because I get frustrated with it.

Spend the time researching and finding deals. You'll enjoy your shop time even more and if your shop time is as sparse as mine it means even more.

On the Rikon band saw...I've seen Mike Davis use his and it was a sweet tool (and if I remember right it's one of only a few new tools he's ever purchased).

LeeNC

New User
Lee
The 10-325 was offered for $650 at the Hickory show last weekend. I wish I had been ready to take it home then. I was very close to getting it anyway. You might be able to get them (Klingspor) to sell it to you at that price if you call.
Lee

dave

New User
Dave
LOL - that sounds like me Phillip!

Thanks Lee - Scott recommended them too... going to call them now, before I get distracted.

Dave

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got mine at Klingspor in Winston-Salem, it was $699 there two years ago.

Phillip is right the only new stationary tools I have bought are my now 14 year old Delta table saw and this Rikon band saw. Everything else is old iron bought at great discount.

I have had several used band saws, some were OK and some were real dogs. I finally got tired of fighting the old dogs and got the best saw at the best price after doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions here and other places. A small footprint, ease of adjustment and high re-saw capacity were my priorities as well as price.

As to lathe vs. band saw I'd have to say get the band saw. Either could stand alone as your only power tool and be justified in many ways. You have to decide what kind of work you want to do, but it sounds like you are heavily invested in the flat world and this makes the most sense to combine with your other tools.

Later you may decide to go round and that will require a much larger investment to get an equal quality tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS