Rigid table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I'm in the market for a new table saw and was looking online at the stationary one by Ridgid at Home Depot, but the only store that has them in stock and on display is in Fayetteville. All the stores around Raleigh have the portable contractor version, but I can't tell how similar they are. Does anyone on here have one that could give me actual real world opinions?

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I bought one this year from direct tools out of mebane (no longer there). It cost 350 delivered, and is worlds better than the dewalt portable that i was working on. I like the included mobile base, the ease of setup and the quietness compared to what I had. The vibration is much lower as well.

I would like the quality of the table and fence improved, l wish the entire saw felt a bit more solid. However- i do LOVE my saw. It's just not a cabinet saw.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
I bought one this year from direct tools out of mebane (no longer there). It cost 350 delivered, and is worlds better than the dewalt portable that i was working on. I like the included mobile base, the ease of setup and the quietness compared to what I had. The vibration is much lower as well.

I would like the quality of the table and fence improved, l wish the entire saw felt a bit more solid. However- i do LOVE my saw. It's just not a cabinet saw.

What model Glen?

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Same as yours. R4512. They had a big blowout sale, and $50 off sale...

I wasn't really shopping for a saw, but he sale an offered to drive it to Raleigh after work since I couldn't get the assembled (or unassembled) saw in my corolla. He even helped me carry it across my lawn in a rainstorm (trashing his loafers) and got on his back on the filthy floor of my shed to bolt it back together.

He didn't want any money, but I gave him $30 any way, you know for good karma.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Great deal. Especially with the $529.00 sticker price at HD. What problems are you having with the fence? And my saw feels as solid as a rock. ??

thsb

New User
Tim
i see so many cabinet saws for sale on craigslist and here that it seems with a little patience and effort you can get a better deal for a better saw. but, when you are ready to buy you are ready to buy so good luck with the decision. the only thing that i did that i feel good about in terms of tool selection early on is that i bought stuff that i could sell without a huge hit if i decided to upgrade. That worked well for me because i ended up selling both my Jet Jointer (went from 6 to 8 inch) and the DeWalt 735 (went to 15 inch).

it doesn't seem like anything you do will be a bad decision!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Might too far to go see, but this one showed up on Raleigh Craigslist this evening.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/4593891095.html

Wayne

0 favorites

CL >raleigh >all for sale / wanted >tools - by owner
— — —

contact ✉ ☎ contact
x prohibited[SUP][?][/SUP] Posted: 2 hours ago
Rigid TS3650 Freestanding Table Saw - $300 (Goldsboro/SJAFB)

<>
00D0D_7Ns0CySFkaR_600x450.jpg

This is an excellent-condition Rigid TS3650 table saw. It is in great shape, cuts well, and has a huge table. The base easily transitions from castering mode to a rock solid work mode.

I'm reluctantly selling incident to downsizing to an apartment.

Comes with all original components. Let me know if you're interested!
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4593891095
posted: 2 hours ago

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Great deal. Especially with the $529.00 sticker price at HD. What problems are you having with the fence? And my saw feels as solid as a rock. ??

My fence is not sitting flat on the table, there us a 1/4" gap closest to me. It also likes to lock itself out of square and seems misaligned. A rickety shed floor compounds these problems.

I am in the process of moving, so I have not taken a good look at the fence and table, but it has given me minor problems. I should say that my crosscut sled helps a lot and so does measuring twice. I love how quiet my saw is compared to most contractor saws. I run mine on 110 now, but will swap over to 220v after the move.

dusty squared

New User
dusty
I bought my 4512 in August 2011. I really like it. The fence works well. The only problem that I have had was about a month ago. The on-off switch would sometimes fail to start the saw and sometimes the saw would start several seconds after the switch was flipped. I ordered a new switch, installed it, and now it works well. It is fairly quiet and a nickel will stand on edge on it while it runs.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
My fence is not sitting flat on the table, there us a 1/4" gap closest to me. It also likes to lock itself out of square and seems misaligned. A rickety shed floor compounds these problems.

Strictly FYI, there should always be a gap between the fence and table -- nowhere near 1/4", but an even gap the length of the fence. A typical gap will be somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8". This gap between fence and table ensures that stray sawdust collecting under the fence will not build up and interfere with the fence alignment. Sawing of material thinner than this gap will require an auxiliary fence be affixed to the main fence, one that does ride flush (or nearly so) to the table.

If you have an uneven gap then something is either incorrectly adjusted, an initial setup error made (it happens, we've all been there), or there is a manufacturing defect (which would likely require replacing the offending part or parts).

If the fence being used on these saws is a typical Bessemer style T-square fence (I believe it is) then it should lock square, always, when properly setup. However, depending upon the design, it may not always ride square when unlocked, but should always square when locked. Some fences have an extra set of adjustment glides to maintain a square fence when unlocked, but most do not have this feature, so when setting up the fence it is only the locked state that one should concern themselves with when adjusting for squareness. If after thorough and careful setup and inspection it should still fail to reliably lock square then the fence, or a subcomponent thereof, may need to be replaced.

I wish you the best in your move and hope all goes smoothly...I dread the day I have to move my shop in a couple years. :)

PS -- Most Bessemer style fences have a pair of adjustable glides on the top of the portion that floats on the front rail that is responsible for setting both the glide height if the fence (at front of saw) and which also adjust the fence to be perfectly perpendicular (90deg) to the table. This is most likely the adjustment that is causing the front of your fence to ride abnormally high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors