repairing old spinning wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberta vasgar

New User
roberta
is there any one in the crystal coast area that could make parts for a very old spinning wheel.. would love names of any books with info about spinning wheels thanks..

dkeller_nc

New User
David
is there any one in the crystal coast area that could make parts for a very old spinning wheel.. would love names of any books with info about spinning wheels thanks..

Exactly how old is "very old"? That means different things to different people, but I ask because one of these found in eastern NC might well be Elizabethan - and thus have a good bit of historical value. 19th century wheels, in contrast, are pretty common and pretty cheap because they're aren't all that many folks that wish to spin their own yarn - sort of like dough boxes.

roberta vasgar

New User
roberta
the spinning wheel i have came over from ireland by boat with 2 sisters... in their older years one got sick and went in a home , the other started selling off stuff to pay medical expenses... she was about 90.yrs.. then a friend of my mine purchased the wheel.. and has had it for many years.. they let their children play with it... i mentioned that i was looking for a wheel and they let me have this one... i am hoping to keep for ever... i am planning to take pics and post next week.. the lady that runs a spinning/ weaving shop in richlands looked at it .. and give the me age info...she said around 1830.... said it was is wonderful condition..
to me it looks like an ashford wheel.. it is a flax/cotton... wheel.. i think i am only missing the staff that holds the flax.. and a piece of leather that looks like a key. .. i have one of them... she told me i needed several bobbins.. i have one... as i get more info will post..
roberta

roberta vasgar

New User
roberta
i am missing a distaff....1 bearing .. the one i have looks like a key made of very heavy leather...but i have figured out how to make something that will work.... and need several smallpieces that look like golf tees to me... really need to find a good book to study on this .. net has lots of info.. but a book that i can read over and over is better...

roberta vasgar

New User
roberta
thanks had forgotten about the foxfire books.. i know my library has them ...will check them out ... and if it has what i want ...will order my own set... off to take pics of my wheel and post...

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I could probably make a couple of the golf tee pieces, but I'm about 2 hours from you, maybe a little less. I'd need to have one to go by though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS