Removing Gorilla Snot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
How do you remove the residue from a new machine? You know the stuff under the cosmoline... I think DaveO referred to it as Gorilla Snot.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doug, most of the time I'll let is soak in WD40 or parts washer solvent for 15 minutes or so. The more tenacious snot gets a treatment of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Spray carburator cleaner has also been known to assist.

You have to be careful with the MEK removing paint.

Scott

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Plain old mineral spirits in a spray bottle, a roll of paper towels and a can of elbow grease works for me. Followed up with a good spray of Bruce's (Junquecol) mineral spirits/Gulfwax mixture (1/2 block of grated Gulfwax disolved in 8oz MS) cast iron protector.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Doug,

I've used mineral spirits to get the snot off, then followed with....... ah what is it? Some type of lubricant/protectant. Can't remember the name but it was about $15 for a spray can of it. HTH

Trent

norm932

New User
norm
I bought a can of degreaser from Grizzly when I purchased my table saw a couple of years ago. I have been hooked on the stuff. It works on most anything from metal to plastic. I even use it when I have oil drops on the driveway. It leaves no residue and has nice orange sent.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Citrus-Degreaser/G7895

This was not in the new catalog, still on web site for the great price of $3 a can, new stuff that replaced in catalog is $6.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The traditional and still best cosmoline cleaner is kerosene. It quickly cuts the gunk and leaves a slight oily residue that impedes rust formation.

You can use any petroleum product. Mineral spirits is very close to kerosene and will work well but does not leave the residue. WD40 will work (it's primary component is a petroleum product close to mineral spirits), but it's certainly the high priced solution.

It the item has a ground, flat, cast iron surface, be sure to immediately coat it with Boeshield T9. It's the best product for rust prevention.

M

McRabbet

I've used the stuff from Grizzly that Norm932 mentioned -- I bought it at the same time I purchased my cabinet saw, jointer and bandsaw in 2004 and the stuff worked like a charm, plus it smells great. I used less than half of the can on those 3 tools. After getting the gunk off, I wiped all of the exposed metal parted with a clean rag and a small amount of WD-40. Never have had any rust problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS