Removing dried glue from clamps

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
I am cleaning up some clamps after a messy cutting board glue up and came across this article that rates several different methods of cleaning up the dried glue.
Passing it along

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
After you get them clean, if any are any of the Bessy type with the threaded edges on the bars, wax the bars. The glue won't stick and can be easily knocked off easily, until the wax needs replenishment. A fresh coat of wax restores this knocking off capability. The plastic housed ends have never held onto the glue, so they should not be waxed, as they might slide off the project if you do wax them.

Charley

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
After you get them clean, if any are any of the Bessy type with the threaded edges on the bars, wax the bars. The glue won't stick and can be easily knocked off easily, until the wax needs replenishment. A fresh coat of wax restores this knocking off capability. The plastic housed ends have never held onto the glue, so they should not be waxed, as they might slide off the project if you do wax them.

Charley
Makes sense with the wax. I tried the denatured alcohol and it worked well. I’ll wax them up after they are all clean. Thanks for that idea!

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I have a handscrew clamp with dried glue on the threaded rod that has been waiting for some attention. Might see if denatured alcohol on a soaked paper towel can help loosen it up.
Thanks Dean

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Easiest way to wax clamps, IMHO. Grate some paraffin into oderless mineral spirits. Then place into spray bottle, and spray bars. Wipe off excess, and let dry. Complete coverage.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS