red bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outa Square

New User
Al
some times things get in the way of progress... in this case it was a red bud tree that had been here for a while and had a lot of dead limbs it had been here 35 + years. It is/was about 2 foot from where i plan on building my shop so i cut it down Sunday evening... it was alot more solid when i cut into it than i thought... i figured it would be rotten. After some interuptions it was about dark before i finished and supper was waiting, so this afternoon i was piling up some limbs and brought a hunk to the house.

This is what it looked like

It is a dense wood with brown and gold striping and it smells like a cross between sweaty feet and wet dog. Maybe a wet dog with sweaty feet.:rotflm:

has anyone ever work with it. I belive the pic is from a cunk of a large limb. I may try to mill some of the butt log if i get my bandsaw fixed. if not i may have some bowl blanks to share. I plan on swinging by klingpore woodworking store and getting some anchor seal or something similar.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
This is what it looks like milled. I would love some of this if I can talk you into shipping it.

rebbud.jpg

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have used red bud a few times----------it is very hard when it dries. What I had split pretty bad in the drying process. Makes nice turnings but hard on tooling. The gold color turns into a dark brown as the patina develops.

Jerry

Outa Square

New User
Al
yea that's what i found out after reading some on it last night. I cut the tree down and it was dark and yesterday afternoon i guess i didn't see that the trunk splits 2' or 3' from the base so every thing above that is limb. From what i have looked at above that has wind shake, i guess as the wood separates at the rings.

From what i read the wood moves a lot as it dries so I'll factor that into what i do with it.

edit...

well in reading about wind shake, i am not certain what it is but it separating parallel to the rings and it has cracks that are perpendicular. Either way i am going to try to exert a little bit of effort to salvage some of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS