Red Bud burl

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
my neighbor has a red bud tree that has three "fingers" for lack of better words coming up from the main shoot close to the ground - one has a burl on it that looks to be about a foot across - it is raining now- will get a picture later- anyway she said that I could have it - I do not want to harm the rest of the tree - would it be better if I wait until this Fall to cut this?

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I would wait until Dec. when it's good and cold.With the way the weather is around here.You never know when the sap stops.So the colder the better.Good luck.I've got a cherry burl I'm waiting to get.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I believe in the winter there is less water in the wood so it won't be as wet. Maybe wrong though...wouldn't be the first time nor the last

Rob

New User
Rob
I believe you will kill the tree if you cut it off. Will allow insects and disease in.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I believe you will kill the tree if you cut it off. Will allow insects and disease in.

Rob do ypu think that this will still happen if I wait until dead Winter - People do prune their tress and shrubs in the Fall and it does not kill them:icon_scra I will get a picture of it today ti show how the tree is growing

Rob

New User
Rob
I do not know. I've just heard that cutting a burl off a live tree was bad. Bigger area then just trimming branches. Scott Smith, Jeff Mills, or Dave might have better answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS