Recommendations: Cleaning machine tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
How do you clean your machine tops so that they look as good as new? That includes getting rid of disolorations. What products do you use? Do you use rust and stain remover, scouring pads, 0000 steel wool? Let me know what works and what doesn't.

Doug

Toddler

New User
Todd
I picked up two of those rubber blocks with abrasive in them from klingspore's, medium and fine, and cleaned the top of the 30yr old jointer I bought. Worked great, almost no effort.

I haven't bothered to use the "top saver" kit I have yet but I will use it eventually.

Boeshield is great stuff, and not having opened the topsaver box yet, I can't say how it will compare. The blocks though, are great.

Todd

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have the Boeshield stuff and TopCoat. There are still some discolorations I want to remove that T9 does not seem to eliminate.

Doug

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used Empire coatings with scrubbing pads with pretty good success. Takes a lot of elbow work, but it does work.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Let's see how many people disagree with me.

Almost all, if not all, chemical means of removing rust will leave a dark grey stain. The reason for this, is that the chemical process that removes the rust, changes it from one form of iron oxide (red and crumbly) to another (grey and stable) This second form will actually serve as a "rust preventative", but it is a "stain"

So the last time, I did this, I used an abrasive like steel wool with a ROS and WD-40 as a lubricant. Just like with wood I went through the grits until I had the surface I wanted. Then I carefully cleaned the top with WD-40. When that was dry I cleaned again with acetone to get any residue of WD-40 off and then waxed and buffed the surface.

This is overkill and I doubt I would do it again that way:BangHead:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I got it at Woodcraft. Personally, I would start with WD-40 and one of those plastic sanding pads that are similar to a pot scrubber.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I picked up two of those rubber blocks with abrasive in them from klingspore's, medium and fine, and cleaned the top of the 30yr old jointer I bought. Worked great, almost no effort.

I haven't bothered to use the "top saver" kit I have yet but I will use it eventually.

Boeshield is great stuff, and not having opened the topsaver box yet, I can't say how it will compare. The blocks though, are great.

Todd

Todd are these what you are talking about?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
WD-40...hmmm...Why didn't I think to try that. About 30 years ago I was a bicycle mechanic. I was given a bike to refurbish that hand rolls and rolls of handle bar tape on it. After I got all the tape off I found the bars were still covered in adhesive. An hour of scrubing with steal wool only cleared a 1.5 inch patch. With nothing to lose I sprayed on WD-40 and eureka! The stuff just wiped away.

It may or may not work here, but it worth a try. Now why can't I remember to learn from my own experiences?:-D

Doug

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It depends on the condition of the top. I usually let it go too long, but then do what Steve does. I use my random orbit sander with some WD 40 and various grits of wet and dry sand paper and/or 3M abrasive pads. (I block the dust chute to reduce pulling WD40 up into the sander.) Once all the crud is gone and it meets my desired level of appearance I clean it with Acetone then seal it with Top Saver or a good paste wax or both. I think stuff slides better with the wax than with Top Saver.

With this method, if you want to take the time, you can make your machine tops look almost like shiny stainless steel or chrome!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
sounds like a lot of work Steve, but I may soon be doing the same thing... boards don't slide across the outfeed of my jointer like I would like...

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Once all the crud is gone and it meets my desired level of appearance I clean it with Acetone then seal it with Top Saver or a good paste wax or both. I think stuff slides better with the wax than with Top Saver.

With this method, if you want to take the time, you can make your machine tops look almost like shiny stainless steel or chrome!

I was thinking that paste wax would slide easier... has anyone buffed out the Top Saver and received better results???

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have buffed out the top saver, it makes it slide good, but I don't think it lasts any better than paste wax. IMO, it is a good cleaner (better than WD-40), but I am just as satisifed with paste wax for protection.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks for the input.

Steve: the "stain" you describe is exactly what I meant.

I will try your method using Alan's idea of blocking the ROS dust ports. I need to buy some acetone to make this work.

Doug

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Has anyone tried "Bar Keepers Friend" ? Last night I cleaned my wife's stainless steel pots and pans and it eliminated 100% of the stains and discoloration! Tonight, I'm gonna try it on the table surface of my tablesaw and also the jointer. Will follow up with a paste wax .. hmmmm.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Jim:
I have and still use Barkeeper's friend. Basically it is pumice with oxalic acid in it (as opposed to chlorine like comet). It cleans rust fine, but will flash rust in a heart-beat. I use it, wipe with a damp rag of clean water, and immediately (before the water dries) hit it with johnson's wax. I do a relatively small area (1 square foot) at a time because the acid causes it to flash-rust so fast. After i finish going over the whole table (or at least all the stained spots) I then hit the entire top with the wax. Due to the flash-rust problem, I usually use WD40 first, and then hit it with the other for what the WD leaves.

If you use steel wool to apply it (barkeep's friend) put it in water (a ziploc bag works but submurging it is better) until you dispose of it. The acid on all the exposed surface of fine steel wool makes it extremely flammable.

*While on the subject, if anyone uses a strong acid based remover such as naval gel, etc, and steel wool, realize that the steel wool can self-ignite due to the heat of the oxidation of the acid against all the surface area of the steel wool. It is not urban myth. I have seen it happen.

*Just some tidbits from my days working corrosion removal on aircraft

Go

Toddler

New User
Todd
That link didn't work for me and I couldn't find the blocks on a search. What was the name?
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS