Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hoping
tc_date.JPG
somebody could tell me what kind of wood this is. This photo below is the inside of a tall case clock that is currently enroute to NC and yes I think the build date is correct - she is an old one. I am hoping that I can determine that the case was built in the colonies. thanks, phil

Need to add a couple of photos that just arrived. This clock still keeps perfect time! The folks that made this over 300 years ago were true craftsman

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_12271.JPG

Last edited:

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
NO IDEA BUT CANT WAIT TO SEE THE WHOLE THING. AT FIRST GLANCE MY BRAIN SAID SAPELE BUT THEN I SAW THE DATE IN THE PIC AND FELT DUM:embaresse.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just guessing here, but I'd say Honduran Mahogany. The pattern & patina are right for it & it would have been available at the time.

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
I wasnt too far off then. Just thought the color was a little too uniform for mahagony but then any back then lumber was alot nicer then anything ive had a chance to work with.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
The way my body has felt this last week,I think I was born then :gar-Cr but I would bet on the mah :icon_scra

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Looks like mahogany. As to the age of the clock, these experienced clock guys can look at it and tell you a books-worth of info about it. I love old clocks but know very little about them.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:dontknow:pine?:dontknow:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Please post more pics when you get that clock. I'm sure it'll be beautiful!

My first guess was mahogany as well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm gonna be a Sarah Palin "maverick". You asked about the interior of the clock case so I'm guessing that it's red oak based on the relatively open grain pattern. The exterior may indeed be true "Cuban" mahogany which would have been readily available to the craftsmen 200-300 years ago. :icon_scra

Blackbeard would have cherished this piece for his home in Bath, NC. :eusa_danc

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The OLD clock finally arrived in NC and now I am actively searching for the history. So far I have determined that the movement was replaced at some point in the 18th century as the new movement is an English 30 hour made in the early to mid 1800s. The case,dated 1687, sure looks like mahogany and the back appears to be pine, but I now think it may be cedar as the inside of the clock smells of cedar - rather amazing after 322 years.

The only history I have on the clock is that it was purchased in Wellsville PA for $1.50 I do not know when nor by who and it may have been a used clock at that time.

Does anybody know the correct method to clean the outside of the case?

Any insight as to how I determine the origin?

Thanks

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
The OLD clock finally arrived in NC

Thanks

I think I would contact someone that works for a museum. You are in a good area to do that.

Jerry

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The OLD clock finally arrived in NC and now I am actively searching for the history. So far I have determined that the movement was replaced at some point in the 18th century as the new movement is an English 30 hour made in the early to mid 1800s. The case,dated 1687, sure looks like mahogany and the back appears to be pine, but I now think it may be cedar as the inside of the clock smells of cedar - rather amazing after 322 years.

The only history I have on the clock is that it was purchased in Wellsville PA for $1.50 I do not know when nor by who and it may have been a used clock at that time.

Thanks

You might try the following site: http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/
In the 17th century your clock was called a "Longcase"; the term grandfather clock did not originate until 1875. Apparently there were a number of distinguished clockmakers in Pennsylvania about the time that your clock was made. Wellsville is about 60 miles west of Lancaster.

Here's another one that looks interesting and useful. You can post pictures and get info and feedback from other antique clock collectors which may help you to identify its origin.
http://www.discoverclocks.com/antique_clock.html

Shellac has been around since 1590 so if it was used on your case you don't want to use alcohol or ammonia. Perhaps mineral spirits to remove old waxes and oily fingerprint residues would work. :icon_scra

http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/shellac.htm

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings and restoration work. :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS