Reading Room Paneling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Got a small 7x7 room located at the back of the house, under the main stairway, we call our Reading Room. Originally, it was board & batten paneled in old growth pine. It is located adjacent to the kitchen, and had been stripped to the studs when we started our kitchen renovation 2.5+ years ago. I’d saved the salvaged lumber hoping to re-mill it & re-panel the room in a future project. 2 years had passed since completing the kitchen project… Work hours being long & with many other higher priority projects requiring my time, the Reading Room had languished, in plain sight from those in the living room.
That is, until my wife spoke those magic words, “Maybe we ought to call a carpenter…”
With utterance of those words, priorities were realigned. Dusting off the graph paper plans from January 2007, we were off to the races.
Started the milling back in September. Walls were insulated and sheathed in ½” Arauco plywood. The applied rails, stiles, picture frame moldings, and crown were made from the lumber salvaged from the room. Crown molding profile is a 2 ½” cove cut on a table saw.
I apologize for the picture quality – the room is so small, it was near impossible to get back far enough to get a good picture. Taking pictures in daylight made them too dark to see. These pictures were taken in the dark, with a flash, which explains some of the crooked shots…
Underneath the stairwell (West wall)
IMG_0301.jpg

Bookshelf wall (North wall)
IMG_0303.jpg

Desk Wall (North wall) – you’ll have to imagine the desk at this point. The computer tower will go in a door unit to be installed on the right & a matching false panel on the left to cover up the wiring & other miscellaneous junk required for a computer.
IMG_0353.jpg

Living Room Wall (East Wall)
IMG_0334.jpg

Window Wall (South Wall)
IMG_0335.jpg

Detail of Crown Molding – 2 ½” inch cove - tablesaw made. Took advantage of the Fine Woodworking’s Cove Angle Calculator to set the fence angle & blade heights. It can be accessed here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=24067
IMG_0323.jpg

Unisaw dust collection – nearly filled it up… Cove molding started out as ¾” x 3” boards – seems like most of each board ended up underneath the saw…
IMG_0250.jpg

I must say, this was the first big project I've done w/the restored Unisaw & I loved it. There really is no comparison between it & the $99 Craftsman plastic saw it replaced.
At this point, I lack installation of the desk & quarter round. Took advantage of the room being cleared out to go ahead & refinish the floors – stain’s drying… Hopefully, this’ll be done prior to returning to work next Monday. Watch this space...

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Marvin,

Congratulations on great looking room. Those magic words are really something aren't they?

Bob

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Marvin, that is BEAUTIFUL! You could've told me you were showing me pictures of the Biltmore house and I would've believed you. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

4yanks

New User
Willie
I am floored. I am planning to wainscot my dining room sometime this year and find your work inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors